• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

best flips for coins.

15 posts in this topic

im running realy low on flips and will need some very soon. but dont know where to look. i lost the thread from a while back talking about coin suplies :(

what flips do i get and where is the best deal for huge amounts of them at one time.

please and thanks all.

I always wanted to know, if a cbhd slips around in a flip won't that scratch or rub the surfaces and thus screwing up the coin. I notice when people are looking at coins in flips they tap the flip to get the coin to move down in order to see it better.

I don't like flips and don't ever use them. If I want easy portability, convenient viewing, etc, I use a 2x2.

I don't care for flips either. I use Eagle holders for my raw coins, tokens and medals when they are small enough to fit in them.

if i keep the coin raw for my collection i like capital holders for looks and safety. but i am sending coins and selling raw coins so i need a small cost way to hold while in shipping :)

i ordered 2.5x2.5 flips :) thanks for links.

I don't like flips and don't ever use them. If I want easy portability, convenient viewing, etc, I use a 2x2.

I don't care for flips either. I use Eagle holders for my raw coins, tokens and medals when they are small enough to fit in them.

This is also my preferred choice. They are more expensive but worth the investment.

I always wanted to know, if a cbhd slips around in a flip won't that scratch or rub the surfaces and thus screwing up the coin. I notice when people are looking at coins in flips they tap the flip to get the coin to move down in order to see it better.

The PVC flips normally won't damage the coin because they are soft, but they have the problem that they will deposit an oil on the coins that will eventually absorb HCl from the plastic and moisture from the air to create Hydrochloric acid which will damage your coin.

The Saflips don't have the acid problem but there is a slight chance of scratching if the coin moves around a lot. They also have a tendency to become brittle and split at the seams allowing coins to fall out. Especially larger heavier coins.

As for why people shift the coin in the holder to see it better, over time the flip can conform to the shape of the coin. By shifting the coin in the holder you can be sure scratches or anything else you see is on the holder and not the coin. You see a scratch, shift the coin and the scratch is in a different place you know it isn't on the coin. The plastic also just adds some distortion so by moving it you can tell if what you are seeing is the coin or just a distortion.

The PVC flips normally won't damage the coin because they are soft, but they have the problem that they will deposit an oil on the coins that will eventually absorb HCl from the plastic and moisture from the air to create Hydrochloric acid which will damage your coin.

The Saflips don't have the acid problem but there is a slight chance of scratching if the coin moves around a lot. They also have a tendency to become brittle and split at the seams allowing coins to fall out. Especially larger heavier coins.

As for why people shift the coin in the holder to see it better, over time the flip can conform to the shape of the coin. By shifting the coin in the holder you can be sure scratches or anything else you see is on the holder and not the coin. You see a scratch, shift the coin and the scratch is in a different place you know it isn't on the coin. The plastic also just adds some distortion so by moving it you can tell if what you are seeing is the coin or just a distortion.

If it's in a flip, wouldn't it be easier to just take the coin out of the flip for examination purposes?