• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help on Desk Lamp for Coin Viewing

22 posts in this topic

I am looking to purchase a lamp to view my coins and cannot find one that will accept a 100 W bulb. I would like one of the swing arm with the springs, and definitely a base, not a clamp type lamp. If anyone can help me out finding one or suggesting your preferred lighting, it would be most appreciated. Thanks

This is the type of Lamp I would like

a pinpoint haligon lamp for grading and seeing hairlines pcgs/ngc use these pinpoint haligon lamps in the grading rooms

works for them flamed.gif should work for you too flowerred.gif

michael juggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gif

Andy, get the lamp of your choice (Office Depot, Home Depot, Frys Electronics, etc.) but put in a OTT bulb. The screw-in type will run you around $50. The difference it will make when viewing your coins, and anything else you do by it, will be worth it!!!

David

thanks guys, but I am just looking for the type of lamp I linked to. Trust Me, I can promise you that the graders do not use pinpoint halogen bulbs to grade with. The Ott lites are just overpriced IMO, all you need is a dark area and some soft white light bulbs.

Andy - Almost all of those like you showed will only accept 60 watt bulbs. You have to get a reinforced fixture (like a utility fixture, often found in garages or outdoors) to accept higher wattage bulbs. Also, you can use a higher wattage bulb in fixtures as you linked but they will heat up dramatically - just don't touch the lamp cover. Some of these fixtures have paper in the receptacle and it can smoulder and burn. Be sure that the wiring of the plug that you plug the lamp into is relatively modern or heavy guage (12 or 10), as wiring can also heat up with a fixture that draws over 60 watts (especially 14 and 16 guage wiring). That's why most household fixtures only accept 60 watt bulbs/endpoints. juggle.gif

Hoot

I'm not sure that graders do NOT use Halogen. There are perfect for finding hairlines (on proofs especially). I just them on gold when buying (if I have my lamp with me at auction viewings and such).

I know OTT's are overpriced but I would NOT take a picture without one. laugh.gif

jom

http://www.ott-lite.com/secondary/secondary.asp?WhichPage=prod⊂=RDG&whichcategory=subcategory

coinpage, scroll down the list to the one and only screw-in type OTT bulb. $50+. Reasonable? Matter of opinion, use and finances. I put two of the 48"ers in my kitchen overhead and immediately noticed the difference in clarity and color of everything. Just more natural. Use the screw-in for my pics in a cheap clamp-on/flex neck lamp.

As far as I know, this is the only source for this type of OTT bulb---have never found another source or store for them. The plug-in types, yes, but not the screw-in.

Hope this helps!

David

P.S. Wanted to add that I also use a tensor full spectrum folding desk lamp

(model FS124-99) for some pic work. SEEMS to work as well as a OTT and very similar in design to the OTT folding lamp. Got it @ Frys Electronics but I know that any Office Depot will have them and many arts and crafts stores carry them as well.

Dermott, I have tried the Reveal bulb and found it really no different then a soft-white. Did not seem to make any difference in viewing OR pic taking. IMO

David

Do Ott lights reveal hairlines? Generally, cold (flourescent) lights won't. That is why they are so nice for photo enlargers.

I use a desk halogen because I can see all the hairlines and everything else on the coin with it. I would not use halogen to grade, but it surely helps see surfaces for what they are. I also use reflected halogen with my scanner lamp to take images. The scanner by itself will not give me accurate color rendition.

Ott lights are the best for pictures and viewing coins if you like natural light.

Ott Lights

Basic question: is OTT - LITES just a brand name or is it a brand name for a certain type of bulb? Is it a screw-in flourescent light? If so, then what's the difference in a regular store-bought flourescent screw-in type?

p.s. I knew a former PCGS grader who quit in 1990. He said that PCGS graders would only occasionally use a halogen light source. However, they very rarely used then. I have no idea if they (or others) currently use them.