• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Net pricing?

16 posts in this topic

Can anyone explain to me what is meant when a coin dealer offers coins at "net"?

I searched the "net" and found that the term is used to reflect the price of an item after all discounts and rebates. Rebates...on coins?

RI AL

It basically means that the seller has (supposedly) already discounted the coin. And it's a way of telling potential buyers not to expect much, if any, off of the "net" price quoted. ;)

When I "net price" something, it means two things: 1) no dickering on price and 2) all sales final. I think that's typically how it works.

I absolutely and unconditionally will neither buy nor sell "net priced" coins sight-unseen.

fish.jpg

Now that you have two of the best answers from two of the most respected forum contributors,

I shall give you my interpretation of “Net Price” for a coin.

It means the dealer is now looking for that one “special buyer“.

When I "net price" something, it means two things: 1) no dickering on price and 2) all sales final. I think that's typically how it works.

I absolutely and unconditionally will neither buy nor sell "net priced" coins sight-unseen.

I have not heard of "net price" having anything to do with "all sales final"/not allowing returns.

I have not heard of "net price" having anything to do with "all sales final"/not allowing returns.

I agree with Mark in this case. Although I only actively buy from one dealer who uses the term (Shawn Yancey), he absolutely does allow returns on "net" priced coins.

Good morning, Guys.

Well, now I don't feel so badly about asking for an answer to what I thought was an obvious question. It seems as if there is no clear answer to "net" pricing so I guess it can mean whatever the seller wants it to mean. Yesterday I found an ad in Coin World with some net prices, but I didn't check the fine print. I'll check it out today.

Have a great day! RI AL

Aren't we confusing "net" with "done deal"?
Not "we", but I believe that Jmaes was.

In my experience, "net priced" coins have been represented as "done deals", but I am sure that others will have had different experiences. I've really only bought net priced coins from a half dozen dealers, though I'll bet I've bought at least hundreds of coins this way.

I also think that "net pricing" is most usually dealer-to-dealer pricing, and I know for a fact that many wholesalers operate this way. Some will not even deal with retail customers at all.

on a sight seen deal net means done deal with no more discounts in price

of course with mail order or sight unseen pricing i am sure there is a return once you see the coin but do not like it

but with net pricing once you see the coin and agree to buy it it is a done deal

duh

If I see the term "net price," I would be awfully tempted to take the leap and assume "net graded so the price is discounted." I.e., this is a problem coin so stay away. That's just me though, and many dealers may use the term for perfectly accceptable coins.

I have never heard of "net" pricing on coins meaning no returns and frankly don't like the term - see below paragraph. I mainly associate this meaning the dealers bottom line price. I consider all my show (sight seen) sales final anyhow, so the issue of returns is a moot point. I use cost and retail codes on coins (back of slab) but sometimes on currency I have marked an expensensive item like a NBN for example - $550 Retail / $450 Wholesale. The $450 is my show price best price while the $550 is the ebay price. The term "wholesale" is simply my best price (at minimal markup) to anyone. This strategy works best with items that don't have easily defined bid values (those that someone could look up in a sheet). I use this on National Banknotes and high grade slabbed Modern Gold.

My GF Wendy (she so closely resembles the blonde gal that plays Traci Strouse on Heroes) said that when she was dancing (she is now a salesgirl for a landscape company) and was selecting outfits to wear at the club at a boutique she frequented that "net" usually meant the item is sub par or has a problem and should be carefully scrutinized. So if you see something at a show that says "net" you may want to consider her observersation. I am glad I never mentioned to her that when negotiating a cash price on the new Honda CRV I bought her back in April that "net" was the term the salesman used on his final price.