• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated Half Dime variety question

4 posts in this topic

Just received an 1866-s half dime back from anacs, and I wanted the coin attributed, expecting a Valentine number, and received a "Greer-103" notation on the slab.

I need a little help with this one. Is there a reference out there that lists the Greer designations?

Anyone have a description of a Greer-103, and it's R number?

Any help appreciated.

I knew I should have paid attention to varieties when I was younger!

Greer is the author of the Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Dimes. He has a variety numbering system. 103 has a date sloping downward. Since you have a half dime ( Are you sure?), the number does not seem to apply. The half dime book in the series is by Blythe; he only uses Valentine #s.

Basically, that's why I'm confused on this on Trime. It is indeed a half dime, just back from anacs, and they did indeed designate it as a Greer-103. I was expeciting a Valentine number, as you suggest.

Looks like I have to give them a call for an explanation. I'm guessing they have made an error.

Oh yes, the dead giveaway, for me anyway, to distinguishing between the half dime and dime here is the big words on the reverse that say "HALF DIME". wink.giflaugh.gif Others may use a different technique laugh.gifwink.gif

Basically, that's why I'm confused on this on Trime. It is indeed a half dime, just back from anacs, and they did indeed designate it as a Greer-103. I was expeciting a Valentine number, as you suggest.

Looks like I have to give them a call for an explanation. I'm guessing they have made an error.

Oh yes, the dead giveaway, for me anyway, to distinguishing between the half dime and dime here is the big words on the reverse that say "HALF DIME". wink.giflaugh.gif Others may use a different technique laugh.gifwink.gif

HALF DIME foreheadslap.gif