• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded coins versus Original mint packaging

4 posts in this topic

I mostly collect PCGS and NGC PF69 graded coins because that's my financial situation, Sometimes I come across a 70 that's affordable. But I was wondering if purchasing 2 or 3 coin sets that were graded 69 or in the original mint package really made much of a difference in price. Thanks Beck

I can’t speak for the difference in price, but to me the modern commemorative coins that are out of the original mint packaging are sterile and boring. I even enjoy collecting the original sales literature when I can get it.

I much prefer the coins in their original mint packaging complete with the certificates of authenticity (COAs) and original boxes. I would not even think of buying a modern commemorative in a slab. I have no interest in participating in that registry and therefore see no need for me to buy coins in holders that I find boring.

A few years ago I made an effort to get every one of the multiple piece sets in the original wooden boxes. At one point I reassembled one set when a dealer had broken up the sets and was selling the wooden boxes with the COAs and outer cardboard boxes from $5 a piece. He also sold me the gold coins for a shade under bid. I guess he was getting the silver dollars and half graded for some reason known only to him. I found that it cost me more to buy the individual coins or even the two piece sets than it did to buy the box and coins complete. So I stuck to buying complete sets in the boxes. I now have all the wooden box sets except the giant 1996 Atlanta Olympics double set.

By in large the quality and state of preservation for these coins is very high. Therefore virtually any coin you find will grade at least PR or MS 68, and it’s very easy to get them in raw MS or PR 69. The grade is not the issue. It’s the slab, which to me only makes sense only if you are doing a registry set.

I never thought of it that way. I started with only coins from the US mint in the original package with all the paper work then I thought I would try and get a whole set that was graded and your correct they are boring. I going to go back to the original US mint sets. Thanks for your help. Beck

I know the question has been asked at least a couple of times here on the boards, so you might want to search and find more responses.

For me, I have no interest at all in slabbed modern commemoratives. Part of the reason for collecting them is the packaging. It's like collecting only tha pages of books, but throwing away the dust jacket and the binder.