• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grandma has an 1886 Morgan

4 posts in this topic

Prudden is right about the 1886 being a common date. I do believe that it's worth a bit above "melt" though, which I believe is about $8.20 today. I would go between $12-$15.

RI AL

This 1886 is a nice toned piece and what's good about it is that you can easily see the wear on the coin.

On the Obverse, the hair above the ear and on the top surface shows traces of wear or flattening as well on the cheek of the face itself.

On the Reverse, the eagles feathers are flat and the coin shows considerable wear but still has much of its detail in tact.

I'd grade it in the XF category, but if it got a VF-30 grade it wouldn't surprise me either.

I don't think the experts would be generous on the grade considering the amount of wear on the key spots but it's still a nice looking piece of history and is better than anything we're spending today.

Today's coinage is junk. We're a nation that no longer takes any pride in its currency or coinage and it's a real shame. These coins of yesteryear were themselves works of art and it symbolized a time in this nations history when we took pride in our heritage.