• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grandma has a 1895 New Orleans Morgan

6 posts in this topic

You've done better with this one. I looked up PCGS price guide on this and the lowest price they show is $275 if G4(Good 4) I'm not sure what yours grades but I think it's a little better than G4,maybe G6..And the best news is, it's not been cleaned!! Please don't try to clean it.

I have to tell you that the pcgs price guide is inflated retail and only counts for coins graded by PCGS.

I think you may want to have that done with this. Either NGC or PCGS are your best bet. It now costs around $129+ to get started and that gets you 4 coupons for grading at either company.Coupons are good for 1 year. I wouldn't do it just for the one coin though.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. Did you have a chance to check out the 1881 Carson City? It's a little more worn than this one and I just posted some pictures this evening. I'm thinking of having it slabbed as well, which I think should be well worth it, since it's a CC and I'd like to preserve it.

As for cleaning, don't worry. I'm not even touching this with my bare hands, so there'll be no cleaning. Which is another good reason to have it slabbed, IMHO.

Yes,I looked at it.The 81 CC is somewhere in the middle of the rare scale. It's not the rarest but it's not the most common either. You know I almost wrote that it probably won't be worth all that much but after doing a search on Ebay I found this 81CC that sold for Over $220.I was pretty surprised.This one in the pictures is better than yours and I think yours would be rejected by the grading companies for having rim damage. But,don't take my opinion only,I'm just a novice. Got anymore?

70368.jpg.add75da1d61bae67fa1d84d34cd15755.jpg

70369.jpg.42dd158c1378ff6fda82ed6abbcdde2d.jpg

... I think yours would be rejected by the grading companies for having rim damage. But,don't take my opinion only,I'm just a novice. Got anymore?

Yeah, the rim damage is pretty significant. Very few ridges left, though there are some. Someone on another board said they thought the 81 might score G-4, even with the damage. I'll find out as more people see it and give me their opinions. This 85 is definately going in though.

As for any more, don't I wish. They're kind kind of like crack though, aren't they? Once you see one the immediate reaction always seems to be "got any more?". ;)