• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book(s) is on top of your want list for 2009?

11 posts in this topic

For me, I want to get two books, Snow's book on Indian head cents, and the "so-called dollar" book. I just picked up the new bust quarter book this month, and it had been my top priority.

How about you?

I've got most of the books I really need right now. I would like to get Roger's new Peace dollar book, and maybe another Bust dollar book or two, but I'm pretty good on books right now. I never thought I'd say that.

Roger's third volume on the "Renaissance of American Coinage." His new Peace dollar book arrived yesterday and I was able to read much of it last night. Another well written book and very informative regarding Peace dollars.

Regarding a couple of the books mentioned above and to help out any holiday Elves:

The Guide Book of Peace Dollars should be in most large book stores now as well as available from on-line places and Whitman.

Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921 is being distributed by Wizard Coin Supply. Stacks and several other hobby book sellers have them in stock. Wizard and some other also offer special deals on the set of 3 books covering 1905-1921. (The set will give you plenty to read and ponder during the longest mid-west blizzard.)

A couple of helpful guys have PM'ed me and mentioned a book on Walking Liberty Half dollars by Fox that sounds interesting. I can't remember the author, but I remember reading about an excellent book on Large Cents with photographs that I would like to get my hands on. Was it Breen? Finally, I see that the 2009 World Coin Books are out and I should probably update mine. MY wife, being a library director, gladly takes the non-current additions off of my hands and adds them to the VERY lacking library collection of books on coins.

RI AL

None, because the books I want the most do not exist.

The only reference book I have for any of my series is "The Milled Columnarious of Central And South America" by Frank Gilboy. It cover Spanish colonial pillar coinage and unlike most coin books, it is a real reference work with the history, minting process and a section for each of the six mints with estimated rarity scales and die varieties. It is a real scholarly work published in 1996 but also hard to find because the print run was only 500 copies.

The only other book I have is for South Africa, the Hern Catalogue. But this is no reference book but only a price guide priced in ZAR (Rand) with almost no reference information.

On my others there are no books. There is "Resplendores" for Mexico "Cap & Ray" 8 real but nothing for the minors which is what I have and are much scarcer to find for most dates and mints. Cayon has also written a book for the Spanish Cross silver (usually the Bourbon Crown on the obverse and the Leon & Castille coat of arms with the quartered lions and castles in a quadrofoil cross on the reverse) but it also only covers the 8 real and not the minors.

For the Spanish colonial "lion and castle" quarter real, there is no book yet but purportedly a dealer I know has told me that a collector has been a "big" buyer of these coins just for such a purpose. If this is correct, I will do my best to buy it and reportedly, his collection will also be sold in 2009. If it is what I understand it to be, it will be something to see for someone who likes these coins because they are difficult to find to almost non-existent in high grade or sometimes in any grade, except for a few dates.

There is absolutely nothing for the Bolivia Republic decimal coinage I collect, nor would I expect there to be given that I am probably one of possibly less than 100 collectors in the world who are actively pursuing to complete this series, in high grade at least. This dealer I mentioned who has specialized in Latin America coinage for over 20 years told me has has only four collectors who buy these.

I've got both of the books you want, James. But I would like to garner a copy of Steve Tompkins' "Early United States Quarters" and of the 5th edition of "Cherrypickers Guide". I would love to have Walter Breen's "Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins"(maybe I could trade my copy of his "Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Proof Coins") if someone were so inclined.

By the way, I ended up with an extra copy of J. Hewitt Judd's "U.S. Pattern Coins" hardback should anyone need one, pm me.

Jim