• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice Lincoln Tokens

13 posts in this topic

Really nice. They must be silver?

Yes - I have them in other metals as well. They are Elder Medals (made/commissioned by Thomas Elder, a 19th century coin dealer)

Here's a copper Lincoln Medal by James Bolan:

JAB_20_o.jpg

JAB_20_r.jpg

I like Bolen's Lincoln medal.

I collect Lincoln campaign medals, but I've never run across that one.

Here's a U.S. mint medal I recently purchased. The dies were cut by George Morgan in 1886. R. W. Julian, who wrote the major reference book on 19th century American medals, thinks that this piece is one of the best. Julian's book is called Medals of the United States Mint, the First Century 1792 - 1892 ,

Lincoln1886O.jpg

Lincoln1886R.jpg

Yes the medal is one of the early issues before Morgan signed it. It's supposed to be a fairly common 19th century medal as these things go, but it took me a few years to find one I liked. The 19th century mintage was 224 pieces. You can buy modern examples from the mint now, but they can't hold a candle to this piece for quality.

Don't you love that mahogany patina they applied to the medals back then. Why they seem to think the yellow brass look of today is better I'll never know.