• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw upgrade from an ANACS AU58 1837 Reeded 50 Cents

7 posts in this topic

I recently traded off my ANACS AU58 50 Cents piece to acquire what I think was a better specimen. Here is the ANACS graded coin I traded:

2008822_1837BustHalfObv.jpg

2008822_1837BustHalfRev.jpg

Here is the replacement coin I purchased last week. It's raw, bit I think it has better detail than the ANACS one.

af15_10~0.jpg

af5d_10~1.jpg

What do you all think about the grade and if NGC or PCGS would grade it and not put it in a "Genuine" holder?

New coin definitely a big step up in appearance!! Sharper details too! Nice looking coin!!

It's interesting how many different die breaks there are on these 1837s. Why so many?

Congratulations on a great upgrade. Very nice superior strike.Will be interesting to see how this coin grades if you are so inclined. I think this coin is a couple of points better than the previous coin-not to say I agree with ANACS's grade, but definitely a better coin. Good move.

Jim