• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Coin Found In Salvation Army Kettle

20 posts in this topic

I thought I would share a local story:

The Holiday Season just got a little brighter at the Salvation Army.

Someone dropped a 1977 Gold Krugerrand into a donation kettle.

goldcoin.jpg

They took the coin to one of the local coin dealers and the dealer gladly gave them $900 for the coin.

The donor is anonymous, but I think they did a very kind gesture.

Another Story: 12/2/2008

Evansville - A gold coin worth about $800 dropped into a Salvation Army kettle in Evansville is giving the charity a boost in tough times.

Salvation Army commanding officer Harold Poff told the Evansville Courier & Press that the 1-ounce South African Krugerrand coin was dropped into a kettle outside an Evansville supermarket on Friday. It was discovered when donations were counted on Saturday.

Another Story: 11/27/2008

It’s always nice to hear about the generosity of one’s neighbors. It’s perhaps more special — and certainly unique — for collectors when you hear of a collectible coin freely donated during the holidays.

In this case, a one-half ounce American Eagle Gold coin was dropped into a Salvation Army kettle. There’s was no word on whether it was a Proof or Uncirculated coin, but you’d suspect it was the latter.

Another Story 12/2/2008

IOWA CITY — This donation was worth more than its weight in gold.

Smelted in San Francisco in 1870 by the Frontier Co. following the California gold rush, a tiny gold quarter dollar coin valued between $250 and $300 was found Nov. 26 in a Salvation Army red kettle, donated by an anonymous good Samaritan.

"Obviously, whomever gave this donation knew it had some value and wanted to draw attention to what we are doing," said Salvation Army Capt. Terry Smith. "Hopefully this will help people see the generosity of one person so they can give as well."

The coin will be auctioned at the Iowa City Coin Show scheduled for Dec. 14 at the Quality Inn, 2525 North Dodge St., in Iowa City. All proceeds will go to the Johnson County Salvation Army.

coin.jpg

I have heard similar stories for the past four or five years. It is very nice and get's lots of television and newspaper writeup's when it happens.

what makes me even more happy is they got 900 for an oz of gold. means the dealer didnt jack them. makes me happy for that also.

Doesn't surprise me at all the the dealer would give full value for the coin - for 2 reasons

1 - The Salvation Army likely knows exactly what a 1oz gold coin is worth

2 - Do you really think the dealer would want the headlines to say that he paid the Salvation Army $300 for a 1oz gold coin?

what makes me even more happy is they got 900 for an oz of gold. means the dealer didnt jack them. makes me happy for that also.

Doesn't surprise me at all the the dealer would give full value for the coin - for 2 reasons

1 - The Salvation Army likely knows exactly what a 1oz gold coin is worth

2 - Do you really think the dealer would want the headlines to say that he paid the Salvation Army $300 for a 1oz gold coin?

Here’s yet another hypothesis, this one is the Scrooge Theory however:

1. Salvation Army purchases gold coin from dealer for $900

2. Salvation Army drops gold coin into bucket, then releases story about anonymous donation

3. Salvation Army gets positive publicity/local Coin Shop gets positive publicity

4. Coin Shop sells gold coin for $1,000

5. repeat next year

Here’s yet another hypothesis, this one is the Scrooge Theory however:

1. Salvation Army purchases gold coin from dealer for $900

2. Salvation Army drops gold coin into bucket, then releases story about anonymous donation

3. Salvation Army gets positive publicity/local Coin Shop gets positive publicity

4. Coin Shop sells gold coin for $1,000

5. repeat next year

You got to remember that my story happened in South Dakota.....we Norwegians wouldn't have thought up that story that you told.

This is fantastic! I always give my son a dollar or two to drop in the bucket, but wow what a thrill it would be to drop a gold coin! I don't personally have a lot of gold, but I've got a pretty good collection of silver bullion. Perhaps a couple of SAE's would be a nice drop.

Maybe I can do a couple of GAE's next year, that would be a lot of fun.