• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1939 D walker

9 posts in this topic

Anyone want to give this a try? I'm not sure why the sizes are different, but I think the reverse photo is one of my best efforts yet. Maybe there IS hope!!

walklib2001-1.jpg

walklibr3-1.jpg

Your pics have definitely improved. Good job, Al. I don't see much in the way of marks and such, but with the strike and the poor eye appeal due to spotting, I would call this one a 63. Maybe a 64 if the luster is really good.

If the obverse looked as well as the reverse it would be a stunning 39-D Walker with lots of “POP“, but alas, I will have to detract for the splotching (it is on the coin, right?) and the weaker high points on the thigh, fingers and breast plate.

My original thought was MS-63 but I settled on MS-64 because it’s from a branch mint and not from the 40’s…does that make any sense?

Hey, Guys.

Thanks for the feedback. I have posted a scan of the 39d Walker in her green label slab. I think I caught the graders on a good day. Actually, I have owned this piece for years and just in recent examination, was questioning the 65 designation. Maybe without the splotch, obverse/right, she would qualify but personally, I wouldn't have gone higher than 64. Oh well...she's part of the type set and likely to remain, though I was lusting over a 66 at some auction or other the other day. I feel "unfaithful".

Where do you read which dates/mints are well struck or weakly struck? Is there a book or is the information available online somewhere?

Have a good evening. RI AL

walker-1.jpg

rats...I didn't get a chance...I was gonna say NGC 64 or PCGS 65...very nice strike on her Al

PS: this is a candidate for NCS truly, I think the handling/"fingerprint" could be removed easily and not alter those great flowlines of luster, plus..I believe that this era of PCGS grading was a little slack...nice find..

Where do you read which dates/mints are well struck or weakly struck? Is there a book or is the information available online somewhere?

There are such books, but I generally rely on experience. Fortunately (or maybe not ;) ), part of that experience comes from having cataloged thousands and thousands and thousands of coins for auction catalogs and websites.