• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Currency

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone on this board collect currency?

Are there reputable grading services?

Any keen areas to collect?

It seems like the more I look into it, the more confusing it gets.

Does anyone on this board collect currency?

i do and i love it!

Are there reputable grading services?

no and grading currency is easy to learn.(the foreign grade scale is slightly) different.

Any keen areas to collect?

as with any collectible, collect what you like.

national bank notes and small size star notes are the 'hottest' area at this time.

It seems like the more I look into it, the more confusing it gets.

major areas of currency collecting:

foreign

obsolete

colonial / continental

federal large

federal small

national bank notes

fractionals

confederate

what is it that confuses you?

Mike,

Currency is more interesting than coins for many reasons. As mentioned, there are a variety or fields of interest. The major grading service is CGA, Currency Grading of America, located in New Jersey. Unfortunately, they use a Sheldon coin scale of MS60-70 for grading Crisp Unc currency, which is not looked highly upon by the currency profession. The scale for unc is CU, CHoice CU, Gem CU and very rarely Superb CU. Most European graders would be much more stringent on grading, so be careful. Start with Obsolete or broken bank notes from the 1800's, many of which have beautiful designs and are not expensive, usually in the $5 to $25 range for decent notes.

TRUTH

I've stayed away from currency for the very reason that it looks like too much fun and highly addictive! Some wonderful designs with great historical value.

I just spent a ratty new $5 star note today! insane.gif

Hoot

This was very good input, and I appreciate it.

what is it that confuses you?

Well, when I got back into collecting coins, it took me months before I even began to be able to discern value. With currency, I have no idea what to look for, what the market is like, what is of 'value'. So that kind of freaks me out.

Like, what are the collector bases like for each of the areas you mention above?

Mike