• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is "Gilt"?

11 posts in this topic

I have some coins that are silver with some gold-plated design elements and NGC sent them back as "gilt" on the label. I thought gilt was some kind of brassy alloy...is the term interchangeable with "plated"?.....

any help or info would be appreciated...

PS: fortunately I pulled the COA's out of the mint packaging so that I can prove they are gold...

Found this on wikipedia

Gilding is the art of applying a thin layer of gold, simulated gold, or other metal to a surface. Products employed may be real gold leaf ranging in karats from 9 up to 24; or imitation leaf — composition gold, Dutch metal leaf, aluminum leaf, copper leaf, variegated leaf, mica powders, etc.

There more but that sums it up. Not allowed to put links in this forum.

"Gilt" normally refers gold plating, but can also be used loosely to apply to "gold colored" metals used for plating.

"Fire Gilt" has a particular meaning that can only be used with gold, to my knowledge.

Gilt means plated in gold. I've not usually heard it applied to other metals or alloys, although I guess it could. Did NGC BB them for being gilt? Or did it just say that on the label? I'm assuming these elements were gilt at the mint, intentionally?

Oh, and pics are a must, of course.

What is "Gilt"?

That night after bowling when me and the guys went to that club, the one that has loud music and a chrome pole in the middle of the stage…wait a minute, never mind.

thanks for those of you with serious responses... :baiting: anyhow here's some pics...

the 24 karat gold "gilt" canadian commem is still on its way back from NGC, but here are 2 coins whose slabs say "gilt"...neither has any gold ( both are SC$1 coins purchased as part of the John J Ford auctions)

and a picture of my Bermuda $5 24 karat gold "gilt" coin.....my issue is that it seems to downplay coins with real gold content when they also would also use the term "gilt" by definition, if somebody got some gold spraypaint and touched up a Lincoln penny...

69891.jpg.681984f4f3fb0c4966cd157cd3aed6c1.jpg

69892.jpg.8a979a4364c646c8dabe21153fdb58fb.jpg

69893.jpg.15c6319bd4fbbe8151e0b76767719014.jpg

69894.jpg.dda1e780e17180f124b2b62e45ebcbdc.jpg

69895.jpg.948038b8135a4b166e7b216cd0cc8516.jpg

You know, since that Bermuda coin was officially minted by a government agency, it would seem appropriate to denote any "gold" content, even if it is just gilt, simply because it can be proven.

But you know, neither NGC or PCGS denotes gold for US Minted gold coins on their holders, just the denomination.

fire gilding was last used by the usa mint and also extensively by other shops in the later 19th century

as it is extremely dangerous and uses liquid mercury

it is not used today