• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A phenomenal catalog and James Garcia

10 posts in this topic

It's been a few weeks since I received a copy of the Scotsman catalog for their October 17th sale. Granted, the sale is over, but catalogs represent more of a learning opportunity than a buying opportunity for me now. Catalogs are a fabulous and inexpensive way to learn a great deal about coins. Reading the descriptions in this catalog is a pleasure, as they flow from the mind of a numismatist who has both technical competence and a genuine passion for his hobby, James Garcia. The catalog is written to highlight more than the simple rarities that were offered, also including descriptions of "collector coins," which are most often ignored in larger catalogs. Minutia of the coins was offered up for description, which would have made buying much more comfortable for bidders. Moreover, the catalog descriptions offer the reader a great education, and offered the buyer something to reflect on when the coin arrived and while in their possession.

James is an excellent writer and I believe that his writings are exemplary for numismatists; "his" catalogs are of collectible quality and belong on the shelf of anyone wishing to reflect on the hobby more deeply and completely. I look forward to the next catalog from the talented James Garcia.

Hoot

yes, a wonderful job James...and also a special thanks for taking the time to give a coin that I had an interest in an in-hand look for me. My high regard for your opinion and knowledge helped immensely with my ultimate decision ( which was to purchase a different "conditionally scarce" coin instead)

PS: it's good to see you around Hoot

Thanks so much, guys. I strive to make the catalog "different" than that put out by the big companies, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your kind comments! And, I definitely want to thank the good folks at Scotsman who have entrusted me with the cataloging aspect of the auction process. It has been a tremendous learning experience - one that makes me appreciate the vast effort that goes into producing even a small catalog

Hoot, I appreciate and value your friendship tremendously! Let's definitely get together soon, if you can take a few minutes away from the books!!!!!!

Where can one find some examples?

I would imagine that the preferred way would be to go to the Scotsman site, send them an e-mail through their "Contact Us" and ask that they send you a catalog.

https://www.scotsmanauctionco.com/contactus.aspx

While you're at it, you might want to register with them. That way, you can receive e-mail updates about their auctions.

Chris

I believe this has been mentioned before and also had cossed the boundries NGC/PCGS gaving praise for the catalogue over there also ... I cannot imagine the work involved to assemble such a true collecotrs piece ..

Cheers and great work James