• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

~ Post your Signed Slab ~

18 posts in this topic

AE-75-1O.jpgAE-75-2O.jpgAE-75-3O.jpg

Quote:

------------------------------------------------ ------------------

ALL of the 40% silver dollars both Unc and proof were struck in 1975 and are type I.

Thank you very much for that information! I've often wondered that since I have the artist addition of the set. All are numbered 75 of 500 which is significant because that is the year the coins were minted.

So...point is...

Cool Beans!

Considering that these coins were minted in 1975, I feel that having the set numbered #75 is quite fortuitous!

I love this set of historic coins signed by the actual designers.

Hey, Scott, cool set. :cool:

So, what's the scoop? They did a 500 limited run of graded sets like I have and you have ungraded sets. How many of these sets were released? Any more info on them?

From what I can determine, there are three signature series of these coins. The first one was in 1996 at the 20th anniversary of the design. On that slab, the words "Artist Edition" was where the grade usually goes. They were limited to 10,000 proofs only, but I don't think they ever released that many.

Your slabs are from the 25th anniversary celebration of the designs. These coins were "pre-graded" and the inserts were hand autographed by the artists.

For the 30th anniversary in 2006, the artists hand autographed 500 proof and 500 uncirculated inserts. Rather than grading the coins, they used the grades "Gem Proof" or "Gen Uncirculated" rather than numeric grades. These are readily available. Just search Teletrade where they are selling many of these slabs. It is where I bought my slabs.

I believe that this is the last series of these coins. The artists are getting up there in years and it is reported that one of them (unnamed) has arthritis and may not be able to do this anymore.

Scott :hi:

Excellent reply +++! Thanks, Scotty!

My set was a little pricey at $500 in Oct 2002 from R&I Coins. I still love the set, though. Plus, I can use the coins in my registry set thanks to Deena setting it up for me that away.

EZ... I have not seen the Bush inserts, but the Gerald Ford inserts are now selling for a small fortune! I almost bought a Ford-signed slab two years ago for about $300. Now they are selling for $750-800! I guess it's because the supply of Ford autographs are now a finite supply. :grin:

I could have gotten the Ford AGE $50 slab for $1000 in 2004 but I didn't have the money at the time. :(

Which one's are you talking about?

I could have gotten the Ford AGE $50 slab for $1000 in 2004 but I didn't have the money at the time. :(

Which one's are you talking about?

There are Silver Eagles and the White House Commemorative with the Gerald Ford autograph. I was referring to the silver coins, not the gold. I had not seen the gold.

These seem rather insignificant in comparison.

Chris

No offense to Scott or Victor but I would take those Kennedy's any day of the week.

Nice coins Chris (thumbs u

Chris are those coins signed by the mint director.

They were signed by JT Stanton, the cherry picker guy, I think.

There are Silver Eagles and the White House Commemorative with the Gerald Ford autograph. I was referring to the silver coins, not the gold. I had not seen the gold.

I'd appreciate anyone giving me heads up if you see the Gerald Ford White House Commemorative Dollar for sale anywhere. (thumbs u

Xie xie. (worship)

These seem rather insignificant in comparison.

Chris

No offense to Scott or Victor but I would take those Kennedy's any day of the week.

Nice coins Chris (thumbs u

Chris are those coins signed by the mint director.

No, that's J.T.Stanton. For a very brief time, he was hired as chief executive of PCI in the hope that he could turn the company around. J.T. is a good friend and pool playing buddy.

Chris