• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess Who’s Returning to TV to Hawk Coins?

19 posts in this topic

rchambers.jpg

If you guessed Robert Chambers, your right!

Dec. 1st Coin Country internet, cable/satellite TV show is going to change to “Coin Country Vault” with Robert Chambers

joining the sales team. There is going to be some personnel changes…I still think they are about 20%+ higher on their

prices even for the modern , but from time to time I still watch to see what hot and what’s not.

I actually owe the man. It is because of him that I got back into collecting. I learned a lot from him in the beginning and then I learned better. þ

I'm glad for him, though. He's a charismatic individual, I think.

I love to watch that guy.... it's amazing how rare every statehood quarter is when it's 24kt gold plated!! I mean, 23kt... that's common... but limited edition 24kt! Now that's rare baby! And to boot... you get yelled at!

I actually find him very amusing.

Bet he does well with little old grandmothers who don't know any better .I do enjoy his show

hope somebody 24kt gold plates him someday.He is grooming himself for politics maybe

learning the old smile and lie .

I caught one show last night, and they had Montel Williams on the show hawking the Obama set of the GW $, Kenndy 50c and the IL & HI SQ's for $19.99, According to Montel, "I would have expected this set to sell for $80, $90 or $100."

To top it off, they inferred that the set would only increase in value by citing the sale of the 1933 $20 SG for $7.5M. Of course it was then that they showed their stupidity when they said that there was only one 1933 in existence.

Chris

According to Montel, "I would have expected this set to sell for $80, $90 or $100."

WHERE? (shrug)

On the "P. T. Barnum" Show! Where else?

Chris

To top it off, they inferred that the set would only increase in value by citing the sale of the 1933 $20 SG for $7.5M. Of course it was then that they showed their stupidity when they said that there was only one 1933 in existence.

Chris

However, in 2001, the U.S. government reached an agreement with the owners of the "Farouk-Fenton" specimen of the 1933 Double Eagle which allows the coin to be sold, thus making it the only example outside of government hands that is legal to own.

Technically there is only one it private existence otherwise the mint owns the other ones.

Chris

However, in 2001, the U.S. government reached an agreement with the owners of the "Farouk-Fenton" specimen of the 1933 Double Eagle which allows the coin to be sold, thus making it the only example outside of government hands that is legal to own.

Technically there is only one it private existence otherwise the mint owns the other ones.

You mean "Legally, there is only one in private hands." The other two that were known to exist outside of the Farouk-Fenton coin were at the Smithsonian Institute.

Ten more were "found" in 2003 by Joan Langboard, the daughter of Israel Switt, and her sons Roy and David. Allegedly, they were found in an unopened safe deposit box they found about while going through her late father's belongings. The Langboard family sent the coins to the Mint for "authentication." After the Mint determined their authenticity, they promptly confiscated the coins. The coins were sent to Fort Knox, Kentucky for "safe keeping."

The Langboard's have sued the government for their return in 2006. They are being represented by Barry Berke who represented Stephen Fenton in the lawsuit over the Farouk coin. That coin was auctioned in 2002 for $7.52 million to an unidentified buyer.

You can read my writeup of the Langboard story here and a followup that made the news about some legal wrangling here.

It's a far more interesting story than some schmuck hawking coins on TV!

Scott :hi:

You mean "Legally, there is only one in private hands." The other two that were known to exist outside of the Farouk-Fenton coin were at the Smithsonian Institute.

Ten more were "found" in 2003 by Joan Langboard, the daughter of Israel Switt, and her sons Roy and David. Allegedly, they were found in an unopened safe deposit box they found about while going through her late father's belongings. The Langboard family sent the coins to the Mint for "authentication." After the Mint determined their authenticity, they promptly confiscated the coins. The coins were sent to Fort Knox, Kentucky for "safe keeping."

So those other twelve are not in private hands either but all in the governments hands. It's just that the OWNERSHIP of ten of them is in question. There is still only one IN private hands.

So those other twelve are not in private hands either but all in the governments hands. It's just that the OWNERSHIP of ten of them is in question. There is still only one IN private hands.

The point that I had originally made was that it was stated on the tv coin show that there was only one in existence which was incorrect because there are 12 others known. So, they were neither technically nor legally correct in their assertion.......... just stupid!

Chris

I was leaving it open that others can (or will) be found as well as suggesting that there could be more.

The point that I had originally made was that it was stated on the tv coin show that there was only one in existence which was incorrect because there are 12 others known. So, they were neither technically nor legally correct in their assertion.......... just stupid!

Or you mis-heard, or are mistaken in your recollection. Happens a lot. Like when the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands tribute double eagle coins were being sold. Everyone kept getting worked up because "They are calling them Legal Tender and they're not." . But they only did that in the first couple of ads , then they changed it to Legal Currency", but right up till the time they stopped running the ads everyone kept claiming they were calling them legal tender. They were hearing or seeing one thing, but remembering something else because that was familiar to them.

Or you mis-heard, or are mistaken in your recollection. Happens a lot. Like when the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands tribute double eagle coins were being sold. Everyone kept getting worked up because "They are calling them Legal Tender and they're not." . But they only did that in the first couple of ads , then they changed it to Legal Currency", but right up till the time they stopped running the ads everyone kept claiming they were calling them legal tender. They were hearing or seeing one thing, but remembering something else because that was familiar to them.

No mistake about it. They repeated it several times.

Chris