• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1841 Seated Liberty Dime

12 posts in this topic

I have 13 coins that I might want to send to NGC for grading. I really know nothing about coins, but these seem very nice to me. I am attaching one of the coins, as an example. Would anyone be willing to take a quick look at these coins and see if it would be worth my time/effort to send these in to NGC for official grading?

Thank you~

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=39140&ppid=1122ℑ=196988333&images=196988333,196988269&formats=0,0&format=0

So, a bodybag in laymen's terms means no cert?

Unfortunately yes. All you will get is the coin back in a 2X2 flip inserted in a plastic bag with a 2X2 card with the spot for "improperly cleaned checked on it.

It's hard to explain to a layman, but mint luster, which results from the flow of the metal when the coin is struck plays with the light. It is not "flat" like the shine that results from polishing. Here is an 1891 dime that NGC graded MS-64.

1891DimeO.jpg1891DimeR.jpg

And here is a coin that has the same design as your coin that made its way into an NGC MS-63 holder.

1842DimeO.jpg1842DimeR.jpg

It looks like it has nice EF details but also looks cleaned or polished. I think it would likely get a bodybag.

I definitely agree.

Please post images of more of your coins before paying good money for certification. You may save yourself a lot of heartache by doing so.

Those images are overexposed. I can't tell the actual color from them.

The pictures are overexposed, but it's still obvious that the coin has been polished. We are trying to prevent this new collector from wasting his money on an attempt at certification.

Hi everybody happy Thanksgiving to all

I have been reading this topic and started to get worried about my last purchase.

I purchased this coin (link below) it seems very nice with great detail, i have not yet sended it to be graded, but i was thinking to do it, do you think this one was also cleaned or polished?? would it come back in a bodybag?

Thanks to all

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/3/9/1/4/0/webimg/201621331_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/3/9/1/4/0/webimg/201621272_o.jpg

sargon, your coin looks like a nice AU to MS coin. It's hard to tell from the pictures. I think your coin was dipped and I've seen many similar coins in slabs. In hand it may look different, but from the pictures I wouldn't be surprised to see your coin in an AU or low MS slab.

I also don't much care for the dipped look and would rather own a more original looking coin.

Nice 1891 dime, but again, I wouldn't recommend certification. It looks clearly (to me anyway) that it has been cleaned. How, I don't know...but it definitely isn't "original".

RI AL

From the photos I'd say that the reverse is OK, although it looks dipped. The obverse looks like it's had something more done to it. As such I would not recommend sending it in for grading.