• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now this is scary!

8 posts in this topic

Coin World has an article in the December 1, issue about a counterfeiter in China. The story is the result of a CW interview with the owner of Big Tree Coin Factory who provided photos for the article. Apparently you can get entire sets of Trade Dollars, Morgans, Barbers, Walkers or almost any other coin and they can even be purchased in.......get this!.......knock-off Dansco albums. According to the owner, he is entirely legitimate according to Chinese law, but he said that he shouldn't be held responsible for the actions of others who resell his products.

Chris

And he's right. He shouldn't be. The fact that it is illegal (under US law) to import unmarked copies into the U.S. does not mean that it is illegal (under Chinese law) for him to export them. The only person who is breaking the law is the importer who then resells them as authentic.

its like the guy on the mint special show that makes the fake error SAC that sells them as reproductions. its not illegal until he tries to sell it as a real deal.

its so sad! cause now the crooks get it and try to sell it as real. so just cause he isnts selling them a real doesnt mean he hasnt hurt someone by way of fakery!

The back inside cover is very telling on that DANSCO set of (NON Silver) 'trade dollars'. I ordered a set about a year ago and the album is also a fake and has the counterfeiter's name gold embossed on the inside of that back cover.

In the last couple of weeks I've come across at least three counterfeit Morgan dollars and one Trade dollar being touted as genuine for auction on Ebay. Every day,there are hundreds of listings for replica coins on Ebay. They almost all originate in China. Some sellers will show the coins in the picture clearly stamped "COPY" but in the description it will say you can get them with or without the stamp.

Most of these fakes aren't that hard to spot. The color is off for one thing. Everything else just won't match up. I saw one with a piece of metal brazed to repair a crack in the rim. The guy called it a new VAM!!. Put one in a counterfeit PCGS slab an there you go.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

As a collector of all coin albums, I'd like to get one of his fake albums, sans coins. I do, however, have some reservations about supporting this business in any way.

As a collector of all coin albums, I'd like to get one of his fake albums, sans coins. I do, however, have some reservations about supporting this business in any way.

David, his eBay user name is jinghuashei . I just checked, and he does have listings here.

Chris