• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PF68* Jefferson! What's it worth? Sellers Pic Added

13 posts in this topic

I seen a 1969s Jefferson that is graded PF68 with the ever so famous *Star (not Cam). Without the star, the value of this Jefferson only shows to be $10 by the PCGS value guide. The seller has bin of $99 but will take $59. The Jefferson has a little gold tone to it like most others when they start toning, but does the star really make it 5x more valuable? Just wondering what others opinions might be. I really don't see anything special about the coin. Thanks!

69sstarjeff.jpg

I seen a 1969s Jefferson that is graded PF68 with the ever so famous *Star (not Cam). Without the star, the value of this Jefferson only shows to be $10 by the PCGS value guide. The seller has bin of $99 but will take $59. The Jefferson has a little gold tone to it like most others when they start toning, but does the star really make it 5x more valuable? Just wondering what others opinions might be. I really don't see anything special about the coin. Thanks!

The added value depends on why the star was given. If it was just for eye appeal, then the added value may be minimal, unless you're talking rainbow color. If the star was for a Cameo or Ultra Cameo obverse, the premium could be exponential, depending on the value of that issue in full Cameo or Ultra Cameo.

I once had a 1965 NGC MS68* SMS Kennedy 50C sell for $1,493, when the same coin without the Star is roughly $125. This coin, however, had a fully Ultra Cameo obverse, and a borderline Cameo reverse. The buyer was very pleased to get such a great coin for multiples less than a full Ultra Cameo. If that coin were a 68* only because of eye appeal, say it was pure white and simply looked great, I would have asked maybe $200. It always depends on the individual coin.

Bobby, Bobby, Bobby, Bobby. Stay away, stay far away from this coin. Generally a star on a proof coin has to do with field/device contrast. Almost certainly the * is for the frost of the coin, which means the coin doesn't even make Cameo status. $59 is a ROYAL rip for the seller. '69-S Jeffersons are not a particularly tough coin to find UCAM. Save your money!

Bobby, Bobby, Bobby, Bobby. Stay away, stay far away from this coin. Generally a star on a proof coin has to do with field/device contrast. Almost certainly the * is for the frost of the coin, which means the coin doesn't even make Cameo status. $59 is a ROYAL rip for the seller. '69-S Jeffersons are not a particularly tough coin to find UCAM. Save your money!

Oh I agree with you Sy. I offered $20 but was turned down. I emailed him asking why such a high price and what price would he take. That's when he offered it for $59 and said the star was for the toning. Ain't enough nice toning to me that makes it worth that much! Would be different if it was cam or Dcam.

Perhaps this will give this discussion some context. I’m a type collector, and I paid $9.50 for a 1999-S nickel in NGC PR-69 Ultra Cam. I know that it’s a later date, but for the type coin, that’s all I had to pay. .

Take a look at the Revisions…he’s had this coin up for sale since October 14th The seller is looking for a fish (mostly a sucker type fish) if he keeps the bait in the water long enough, he might get a nibble.

Take a look at the Revisions…he’s had this coin up for sale since October 14th The seller is looking for a fish (mostly a sucker type fish) if he keeps the bait in the water long enough, he might get a nibble.

(thumbs u