• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBH experts-your opinions please

12 posts in this topic

Can you tell me what, if any, premium is attached to an 1822 O-112 CBH R-4 over and above the price for say an R3 or lower? Or any R-4 CBH over and above R-3's price? I may be selling mine later after having it slabbed. Also, I thought that the O-114 was so much more valuable or rare than others yet it is only stated to be R-3 by Overton. Here is my coin.

Thanks for your opinions.

Jim

1822CBHjjteaparty111908.jpg

1822CBHjjteapartycloseup.jpg

Grade and quality play a part in the added premium. An average XF40-45 coin would probably sell between $100 and $175 over normal 1822 values. An average F-12 might get an extra $25-50 premium. A superbly original example might go for twice the common coin's value, or more.

The coin you have posted looks reasonably problem free, but the reverse does have the apearance of light cleaning.

Hard to say if it will slab based on pictures, but I don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me.

The premium for varieties is not just a function of scarcity - the other half of the equation is demand. A popular overdate that is only an R2 could very well garner a larger premium than some R4's.

R4's tend not to get a premium at all in most circumstances. If your coin is a premium quality specimen for the Die Marriage, then it might get the attention of bidders in an auction, but dealers will not pay you a premium. I believe your coin would grade about AU50 if problem free. Luster will be a big factor in where the final grade lies. But there is not much more I can say without an in hand examination.

22's themselves are tough, and if the coin does grade, the NGC/PCGS boards would be a great place to advertise. One of us will want it. If PCGS grades it XF 45 for example, you should have no problem finding a buyer at $300 or so.

One disadvantage in the way CBH values have escalated rapidly over the past few years is that premiums for R.3 and R.4 die marriages have shrunk. There is no premium for R.3, and at R.4, the premium is very small, perhaps 10%.

Not so many years ago, R.4 could command a 25% premium.

In the grade range that your coin appears to be I would expect to pay a 40 to 50 dollar premium over an R-3 DM such as O-114 from a knowledgeable seller. This is actually about the same premium from a price standpoint as the coin would have received 3 or 4 years ago, but as James said above from a precentage standpoint premiums simply haven't kept up with the price increase on commons.

One disadvantage in the way CBH values have escalated rapidly over the past few years is that premiums for R.3 and R.4 die marriages have shrunk.

Interesting, in Large cents it has been the other way round, as demand and prices have risen, R-4's which used to command no premium are now getting one because with the increased demand there are no longer enough to go around.

As pointed out to me by TomB, you can buy a catalogue of realized prices for bust half Overton numbers here . I bought the catalogue myself and it’s quite helpful. Unfortunately I think it’s still in a box somewhere after my recent move. In any event, it’s a worthwhile investment if you’re going to be buying and selling bust halves…

One disadvantage in the way CBH values have escalated rapidly over the past few years is that premiums for R.3 and R.4 die marriages have shrunk.

Interesting, in Large cents it has been the other way round, as demand and prices have risen, R-4's which used to command no premium are now getting one because with the increased demand there are no longer enough to go around.

It does seem counter-intuitive since the runup in bust half prices does also seem to have created more Overton collectors as well as date/RedBook collectors. I think it might just be a case of premiums which were too high to begin with. Most R-4 CBHs really aren't that hard to find.

I agree, and believe this is because copper as collected much more avidly by die marriage. Bust halves are more likely to be collected by date only, or by Red Book variety, for the more adventurous!

Seems to me that in copper, even R.3s are seeing pressure and price escalation.