• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World Series of Grading? WHAT A JOKE!!! lol lol lol

45 posts in this topic

I personally think that it's a great idea: fun & challenging. It's just like a poker tournament with an entry fee, so what's wrong with that?

PCGS sponsors grading ''World Series''

- November 25, 2003 Can you make the grade? PCGS is offering $10,000 in prize money in 2004 in the World Series of Rare Coin Grading.

As seen in Coin World,

Monday, Dec. 8, 2003; International Section ; Page 84

Professional Coin Grading Service will open the PCGS World Series of Rare Coin Grading in January and continue into August, offering the two eventual champions a total of $10,000 cash prizes.

The test of knowledge and skill about grading U.S. coins to PCGS standards will begin at the Florida United Numismatists convention in Orlando in January and conclude at the American Numismatic Association World's Fair of Money in Pittsburgh in August.

"This is a winner-take-all competition to determine the top coin graders in the market. There will be two divisions, one for collectors and one for professional numismatists, and the winner in each category will receive $5,000 cash," David Hall, PCGS founder and president, said.

"Here's your chance to put your grading skills to the test and go up against the best in the business. Who will be the top grader in the rare coin market? We'll find out."

Contestants will have four opportunities to get into the competition by signing up now to participate at one of the four qualifying rounds. They will be conducted at the FUN show in Orlando, Jan. 8 to 11; the Long Beach (Calif.) Coin, Stamp & Collectibles Expo, Jan. 29 to Feb. 1; the Baltimore Coin and Currency Convention, March 12 to14; and the second 2004 Long Beach Expo, June 3 to 6.

"The top two finalists from each of the qualifying rounds, plus seven additional wild card finalists, will be eligible to compete in the finals in Pittsburgh," Hall said.

"There will be a total of 30 contestants competing at the ANA convention: 15 each from the collector division and professional division. The top winner in each of the two categories will receive $5,000."

Each contestant in the qualifying round will have 30 minutes to examine 40 coins and determine their grades. The coins will be previously graded and encapsulated by PCGS and selected from the market by Hall and Ron Howard, PCGS director of grading.

Contestants who reach the finals in Pittsburgh will have one hour to examine 100 coins. In both the qualifying and final rounds, the contestants will be scored on how many times their grades match those previously determined by PCGS.

The competition is open to anyone except current PCGS employees. There is a $50 entry fee, and entrants must make a reservation to take the test at one of the four qualifying rounds.

"I expect the reservation times will fill up very quickly. There will be only a limited number of time slots available on a first come, first served basis. Anyone who wants to enter the competition should promptly reserve a location and time to avoid being shut out," Hall said.

For more information or to sign up, call PCGS at (800) 447-8848. Details are available online at www.PCGS.com.

More details on the contest...

Coins will be in PCGS holders with the inserts blank. You will have to grade the coins thru the holders.

Though the coins will be in holders, there may be some no-grades and/or counterfeits.

The 40 coin qualifying rounds will not be easy, but they won't be super tricky. If you put down the first grade that comes to your mind you will probably be OK. The 100 coin finals will be much tougher.

You need to use your charge card to secure a reservation.

Hey, wait a minute. Did we have a grading contest at a recent party I attended? It was somewhat my idea although TJKillian came up with the SAME idea independently. Maybe I should have charged $50 for people to grade my coins. 893scratchchin-thumb.giflaugh.gif

Anywho, I'd probably give this a try for fun. I might even go to Portland, something I kind of want to do anyway....

jom

My favorite part of the recent ANA grading seminar that I attended was matching wits with professionally graded coins. The last day of the seminar, we had a grading contest. What an idea for a game show! smile.gif Anyway, it was fun.

Grade 40 coins in 30 minutes!! Then it jumps to 100 coins in 60 minutes!!! What's the point?

If you win, and do well enough, you might get a job at PCGS starting $250,000.00 a year.

27_laughing.gif

from the pcg thread linked above:

5. We didn't do this to recruit graders. We know who the best graders are, and our grading staff is fine as is. We did this because we thought it would be fun for everyone.

David

Should I rescind my statement?

Grade 40 coins in 30 minutes!! Then it jumps to 100 coins in 60 minutes!!! What's the point?

That IS the point frown.gif Slab graders have to do them that quickly. It's like an assembly line. That might be why they are so inconsistent. shocked.gif

That IS the point frown.gif Slab graders have to do them that quickly. It's like an assembly line. That might be why they are so inconsistent. shocked.gif

It's sickening if you think about it. On an hour basis these guys can and do make the same or much more than doctors and lawyers and such. Granted the company is making the money, but on that hourly basis, they're cleaning house. What's a blank slab cost? Maybe 30 cents. Not even that much in bulk I suppose. confused-smiley-013.gif

It's sickening if you think about it. On an hour basis these guys can and do make the same or much more than doctors and lawyers and such.

To be quite honest, lawyers and doctors don't make as much as you think. And personally, I think if you know how to grade, and I mean really know how to grade, you can make @ 1 show what a lawyer or doctor makes in a year. You just have to find the "right" coins and have the capital.

Michael

To be quite honest, lawyers and doctors don't make as much as you think. And personally, I think if you know how to grade, and I mean really know how to grade, you can make @ 1 show what a lawyer or doctor makes in a year. You just have to find the "right" coins and have the capital.

Maybe I'm in the wrong business.

I personally think that it's a great idea: fun & challenging. It's just like a poker tournament with an entry fee, so what's wrong with that?

Don't forget, grading coins is subjective and not an exact science but yet the winner must agree with how PCGS grades coins to win. Here and abroad, there's that never ending arguement on what a coin grades! And we all know how a grade of any coin can change like the weather through resubmissions. And yet, through all the headaches, thumb prints, banning members, long return times, the leaving of the many great cooperate people and above all, poor custumer service! And let's not forget about the wool PCGS fuels through it's hyped registries and false price and pop reports that blinds millions of collectors who have been shystered by thousands of dealers into paying overinflated prices for pop top coins and the like.

Am I the only guy here not bending over for more of this same BS?

Of course, everyone can keep turning the cheek and drink their kool-aid but what's the point? And to shell out $50 for PCGS is just flabbergastingly appalling. Wake up people! This whole fiasco is a joke! Who has ever heard of such a thing! Attending the major coin shows and bidding in the major auctions, never have I heard of such an outrageous charge! We grade coins everyday! This is nothing but a publicity farce. 27_laughing.gif

One thing for certain, I would never want to or could win such an event because PCGS can't grade coins. They have low-balled every grading company out there with their half point reduction to make people think they are tougher in grading but yet, I've seen very little in a PCGS holder that has impressed me. I have several slabs from the T3GC and the ones that have the most distracting marks in the main focal areas is PCGS. Coins that will eventually leave my collection.

Another thing, the thread abroad has died twice now in the last 4 days with very few people buying it, but sadly, many will.

If there was ever a time to snub PCGS, this is one of them. Don't waste your time and money!

Leo

Don't forget, grading coins is subjective and not an exact science but yet the winner must agree with how PCGS grades coins to win. Here and abroad, there's that never ending arguement on what a coin grades! And we all know how a grade of any coin can change like the weather through resubmissions. And yet, through all the headaches, thumb prints, banning members, long return times, the leaving of the many great cooperate people and above all, poor custumer service! And let's not forget about the wool PCGS fuels through it's hyped registries and false price and pop reports that blinds millions of collectors who have been shystered by thousands of dealers into paying overinflated prices for pop top coins and the like.

Of course, everyone can keep turning the cheek and drink their kool-aid but what's the point? And to shell out $50 for PCGS is just flabbergastingly appalling. Wake up people! This whole fiasco is a joke! Who has ever heard of such a thing! Attending the major coin shows and bidding in the major auctions, never have I heard of such an outrageous charge! We grade coins everyday! This is nothing but a publicity farce. 27_laughing.gif

One thing for certain, I would never want to or could win such an event because PCGS can't grade coins. They have low-balled every grading company out there with their half point reduction to make people think they are tougher in grading but yet, I've seen very little in a PCGS holder that has impressed me. I have several slabs from the T3GC and the ones that have the most distracting marks in the main focal areas is PCGS. Coins that will eventually leave my collection.

Another thing, the thread abroad has died twice now in the last 4 days with very few people buying it, but sadly, many will.

If there was ever a time to snub PCGS, this is one of them. Don't waste your time and money!

Leo

Leo, it appears the only one that is taking PCGS too seriously is you.

It's sickening if you think about it. On an hour basis these guys can and do make the same or much more than doctors and lawyers and such. Granted the company is making the money, but on that hourly basis, they're cleaning house. What's a blank slab cost? Maybe 30 cents. Not even that much in bulk I suppose. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't fault graders in the least bit for making the big bucks. It is a highly stressful and mundane job which stresses production. Quantity, quantity, quantity! More than ten-seconds a coin is extravagant. Very few graders work at it for over a couple of years. Plus, they have to volunteerily forsake buying and selling coins. In 1990, PCGS required their graders to sign a liability statement. This potentially holds them responsible for any future litigation. Is it a glamourous job? No. Does it pay well? Yes.

It compares to a medical doctor. Most of them make good money. Do they deserve it? Absolutely! Four to five years of college, four years of medical school and three to eight years of residency is just the beginning. Now, there is rising malpractice insurance, poor reimbursement, etc.

Point is: do not judge someone based upon their income level until you've walked a mile in their mocossins. 893naughty-thumb.gif

An interesting post by Julian Leidman from the other forums:

My suggestion is that PCGS farm this competion out to a national accounting firm and enter the competion themselves.

The independent firm would take PCGS coins from wherever, not those that would be specially selected for the competition by PCGS, and the participants would grade them blind, as well.

It would be very interesting to see the published results.

Leo

Leo, it appears the only one that is taking PCGS too seriously is you.

All we know are the facts, ma'am.

Leo 27_laughing.gif

An interesting post by Julian Leidman from the other forums:

My suggestion is that PCGS farm this competion out to a national accounting firm and enter the competion themselves.

The independent firm would take PCGS coins from wherever, not those that would be specially selected for the competition by PCGS, and the participants would grade them blind, as well.

It would be very interesting to see the published results.

I'd love to see this happen! A consensus of how hundreds of randomly selected collectors would grade a group of coins. And schedule it 3x a year for every year. This is exactly what the hobby needs! Let the collectors decide how to grade coins! What we have now is some concoction of one individual who has trained others and now there's to be a contest? 27_laughing.gif

I believe ANACS would do this, listen to their custumers.

Leo