• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you see through a mint or bank roll?

5 posts in this topic

I have several mint and bank rolls of presidential dollars. I also have a few mint rolls of sac 's 2007 and 2008. I really do not want to open the rolls (I just put them away and save them rather than opening them) but I would like to see if any of them have the god-less edges or with the sacs the presidential edge. Does anyone know of a way to see through the roll paper without damaging the coins? I think hexane works with normal paper to make it translucent but I do not know about thick paper. I also think hexane might artificially tone the coins which I do not want to happen. This is kind of a weird question because I know a lot of guys would just break open the roll..lol believe me I'm tempted but I just cant do it ...lol I also know the odds are against me on find an error coin too..lol

I just get the clear mylar coin tubes for coin rolls of modern stuff like this , where there are literally baszillions of rolls available and will more than likely never garner a premium for being 'OBW' like certain rolls of quarters and nickels from past years where there weren't many saved .

Go ahead and open them up . Check them out , and then place them into the clear mylar tubes for safe keeping.

Unless , you have some unknown ( to me) reason for not opening them. People are able to buy boxes of these rolls from the mint at face value .

Just my 2 cents , not trying to offend .

I can not think of any way other than opening the rolls to see what is inside of them....you could occasionally feel the coin edges to see if you find one that is a bit too big around , like an out of collar strike , or maybe find one that is either too wide or thin such as a planchette defect , but I would guess that it would be difficult to determine the edge lettering this way.

The only rolls I would not open are the collector rolls unless you just don't care. Example is the Lincoln 2 rolls that recently sold out. Any of the other rolls are nothing special. https://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=35238&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10156&top_category=10156

Why the heck are those Harrison pres bucks going for so much?? I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not buying some.. I missed them I guess... never again