• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS or Proof Indian cent? How to tell

12 posts in this topic

Got this one today.These are my pictures. The toning on the reverse is more iridescent than the pictures show. The rest of the color is close. Any opinions? MS,Proof or Grade? Thankee.

02IHC3.jpg

02IHC4.jpg

Looks MS to me. Take a look at the edges under a glass. They should be so sharp that they would look like they could cut you. Edges around the coin should be very square, ot rounded.

There is an excellent article written by Ronald Sirna Jr. in Pt.1 Longacre's Ledger. Just google the author's name or Longacre's Ledger to find.

Dean

There is an excellent article written by Ronald Sirna Jr. in Pt.1 Longacre's Ledger. Just google the author's name or Longacre's Ledger to find.

Dean

Thanks,

I've been reading a bunch of online articles today. I'm still not sure.When I turn the coin different ways this nice iridescent toning shows up like you see on proof Indians.Not as wild as some.It didn't show up well in the pictures.At least it's not pink and blue. More golden,green and orange. And the lettering and feathers are very sharp. The person I got it from thought it was possibly a proof coin.Time to visit my neighborhood coin shop I guess

Note the sharpness of the letters and devices and no doubling on the proof reverse. Also look at the consistency of the field in the proof coin. There are no color or texture changes in the fields. Look at the sharpness of the denticles and the knife edges on the coin periphery. Compare this to a business strike and say that they are the same.

Note the sharpness of the letters and devices and no doubling on the proof reverse. Also look at the consistency of the field in the proof coin. There are no color or texture changes in the fields. Look at the sharpness of the denticles and the knife edges on the coin periphery. Compare this to a business strike and say that they are the same.

I'd never say they are the same. I'm not very familiar with Indian cents. This one does have a different look than my others.But it's most likely not a proof. I thought the doubling on the reverse was a problem with the picture. Still it looks better than the picture shows.Thanks for your help again guys.Any one care to grade it?MS 63 maybe? Pete

It's a nice coin, I was thinking 63+. Another thing is that the picture you showed was, how can I put this..... too smooth? The proofs that I have seen are a bit grainy, although some have very nice smooth and clean fields.

Been trying to get some photos that show the toning on this.It just won't come out. Tried different lighting,no lights with flash, all kinds of settings.Oh well.Thanks guys.