• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice deal on NCI certified Morgan

24 posts in this topic

Hey all,

This coin was listed as NCS certified MS 64. While it's actually NCI certified 64.Looks like the NCS thing might have thrown people off. I think I did very well at $25.00.These are the sellers pics

68750.jpg.293ea8069ad45e009bee78d95740c07b.jpg

68751.jpg.7f1bf5eaa3676caf11d88c9ac5138a96.jpg

68752.jpg.4db150a326753ea153c6e584be3f8401.jpg

It looks like it might be a PVC flip.

It doesn't look like it broke down yet.But,I guess I'll have to switch it out. How can you tell? Did they use non pvc flips in '87?

It doesn't look like it broke down yet.But,I guess I'll have to switch it out. How can you tell? Did they use non pvc flips in '87?

Very doubtful. The flip looks very soft.

Very doubtful. The flip looks very soft.

If it turns out to be PVC what should I do?New flip? I can't see any problems with the coin from the pictures.

What kind of acetone? Nail polish remover or something from the hardware store? Never used it on a coin before.

You need pure Acetone. Don't use nail pollish remover. It has perfume and other additives in it. You can find it at hardware stores, usually in the paint section.

JJ

Walmart has pure acetone, and its pretty cheap. Just be careful with it, open a window or something when you use it and keep it away from open flames. You might not enjoy the results, otherwise.

Thanks for the warning!! Is there any chance of damaging the coin using acetone? Anyone want to tell me the procedure for this? Or is it just pour some acetone over the coin in a clean bowl and turn it a few times?

There is no chance of damaging the coin. Acetone does not affect the coin, only the PVC. Just pour some in a bowl (ceramic - not plastic) and gently place the coin in it. I turn it over a couple of times, and leave it there for as long as necessary. Sometimes I will take a Q-tip, dip it in the acetone to get it wet, and gently! use that on an area with thicker buildups of PVC. Be careful with the Q-tip to avoid hairlines, which is less of a problem if it is wet. After the acetone, I usually rinse in distilled water and then let it air dry.

Yeah, the acetone treatment is very easy. I was a little worried the first time, because I didn't really know what I was doing. But after you do it once or twice and get the hang of it and see the results, you realize just how easy it is. Now I do it to all my coins when I get them, whether I think they need it or not. Just as a precautionary measure.

It might be good to practice on a couple coins from pocket change just to get the hang of it the first time. Take a shiny red cent and a state quarter or something, and observe the effects.

I have never used acetone either so this interests me. Does acetone effect luster or toning at all? I am assuming that a coin will not be BB'd by a TPG for cleaning this way?

Also, how do you tell if a flip is a PVC flip versus a non PVC flip?

Flips conatining PVC are soft and pliable. Non-PVC flips feel hard or brittle.

If you need them, you can order SAFLIPS (Non-PVC) from JP's Corner.

www.jpscorner.com

They come in two sizes: 2"x2" and 2-1/2"x2-1/2". You can get the 2x2's with or without inserts on which to write information. Each flip is like a "saddlebag" with two slots. You can put the coin in one slot and the insert in the other.

The only word of caution that I should add is that you must be careful when inserting the coin. The edge of the openings could scrape a coin, much like the slides of a Dansco album, if you aren't careful.

Chris

I have never used acetone either so this interests me. Does acetone effect luster or toning at all? I am assuming that a coin will not be BB'd by a TPG for cleaning this way?

Also, how do you tell if a flip is a PVC flip versus a non PVC flip?

I will repeat again: acetone does not affect silver, copper, gold, nickel, etc. It will not affect luster, and it will not affect toning (if what you are seeing is actually toning, and not something else). If the acetone removes it, you don't want it there. A coin will not be BB'd for being treated with acetone, unless removing the PVC reveals corrosion. If the PVC has eaten into the coin, it will BB regardless of what you do.

I would caution against using acetone on Aluminum coins, however. I'm not sure why, but I had somewhat unpleasant results treating an aluminum coin with acetone. I think the aluminum oxide reacted with it, and produced spotting on my coin. Other than that, I am a huge fan of acetone.

Very good info guys. Would acetone do anything for this one? I've posted this before and I can't make up my mind what to do with it. The reverse doesn't have the same problem

80Srzdu.jpg

That looks like toning, and I wouldn't expect acetone to have any effect. That said, one of the nice things about acetone is that it doesn't damage coins, so you can have at it without any major concern (other than dropping/mishandling the coin). Respectfully...Mike

That looks like toning, and I wouldn't expect acetone to have any effect. That said, one of the nice things about acetone is that it doesn't damage coins, so you can have at it without any major concern (other than dropping/mishandling the coin). Respectfully...Mike

That stuff in the fields is toning as well? Kinda spotty.But if it's not toning acetone will remove it I guess.Thanks Mike

I make it a habit to soak every new coin in acetone. I've used it on Nickel, Copper and Silver and it has never changed the appearence to any toning. Not only will it get rid of any PVC residue, but it will take care of any skin oils that might cause problems down the road.

JJ

I make it a habit to soak every new coin in acetone. I've used it on Nickel, Copper and Silver and it has never changed the appearence to any toning. Not only will it get rid of any PVC residue, but it will take care of any skin oils that might cause problems down the road.

JJ

And tobacco smoke. Yuk.