• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what franklins are currently good buys?

16 posts in this topic

for me

i have found earlier s mint dated franklins in non full bell line ngc holders ms65 ms66 with great color

to be great buys and really scarce coins also undervalued as such

because ngc is more conservative in their assignment of full bell lines

there are correctly graded ngc ms65 and ms66 coins that are really full bell line in ngc holders that are not designated as such but are full bell line or nesrly so!!!and combined with great color these coins are terribly undervalued and downright scarce/rare!

i really do not feel the need to get them into pcgs fbl holders as i think the coin stands on its own merits and the market will appreciate this in the up and coming years especially so with the possible 2008 redesign of the half dollar for the bi centennial of franklins birth

i think there are many franklins out there to buy and this time around may be one of the lasdt times to get in on these coins that in future years will just not be available to cherry pick as i think the upand coming demand will be great!

now what are your undervalued/sleeper franklins in this current market and why??

michael

322497-54Sstarfranklin.jpg.251c8704d4794610dd18d8eccf93476f.jpg

Have I got a groovy 53s ms66 Color coin for you..... I like all the GEMs in FBL or non FBL..... This one here is a great buy, a ms66 without the FBL pricetag a 53s brings in.......

del53s-1.jpg

del53s-2.jpg

thanks don! i really appreciate your response

that is why i currently like the ngc boards better as over at the pcgs boards well a few people are not so nice and even downright nasty i can see why i do not post there much anymore as a few spoil it for all

they do not have to praise,,,,,,,,,,,,, these few but man you can post something benigne over at pcgs and they (a few) tear you apart like wild animals

so why bother throwing tenderloin to swine and then they eat it all up and still rip you apart maybe it is only a few but they spoil it again for all i can see why many really great coin people do not go there anymore and/or frequent it as much

lucy!!

that 53 S is a really neat coin and sooooo close to fbl that is what i am talking about from my conclusions about franklins! and as an added bonus nice thumbsup2.gif color also!!!! an original mint set toned franklin 893applaud-thumb.gif

michael

I think coins with light, original patina where the skin does not negatively affect the luster are relatively scarce. Then, when you put the additional caveat of gem or near-gem surfaces and an overall quality strike, I think you have a very tough coin. These are currently sold at generic levels by most people, however, I think they are poised for an increase if there is a wider appreciation of the series.

Of course, the monster toned coins might be good buys, but I think that that market is a little dicey for me.

Mmmmmm...tenderloin... cloud9.gif

for me the monsters are still good but they have to be really superb gem coins and then something you do not see everyday

what many to most all call monsters in todays market are not really and even if so they are not technically superb

there are still good solid buys out there for monster toned coins but they have to be REALLY SPECIAL

even most that many call monsters lets assume they come really close and even are monsters they are not good buys

as they are not monsters in terms of technical qualities or are seen with frequency

i guess i need to see the coin in question but i am sure tom that is you saw MY defination of a monster coin which would negate 90% of what many call monsters out there

then tom, juggle.gifhi.gifhi.gifi am sure you would change your mind!

michael

i see you are very frisky tonight in answering many of my threads cloud9.giftom cloud9.gif

i bet 893scratchchin-thumb.gif you are home and hitting the happy juice hi.gif and ready to have a good thanksgiving day off tomorrow!

michael shy.gif

Whatever Franklins I had are going up for auction in January, regardless of the market. But if I had to do it again, I don't know how much attention I would place on FBL status. In fact, none. I would go for high grade less the FBL status and aesthetically pleasing toning with bounding mint luster. I had a 1963 MS66 FBL though, that was the absolutely most incredibly incredible Franklin I have ever seen. No, I don't care what anyone says, you will find no finer, even in non-FBL. In that case, I would have to go with the FBL. But, overall, I think the FBL is too overated..but not in all cases. If you need to take a magnifying glass to determine that this strike was better than that one, it's just getting way way too much.

Franklins are incredibly beautiful coins, and offer so much to collectors.

Ahhhhh "happy juice" now that sounds inviting. smile.gif

I don't care for Franklins too much. I have a couple for my assorted type albums, but that's it.

I think the key to the series doing anything significant is market acceptance, as Tom B. stated.

There just aren't a whole heck of a lot of collectors or dealers running around bourse floors actively looking for Frankies. Not even better dates.

The series reminds me a lot of the early commemorative series. You would think that there would be more interest, with the lower mintages, and wide assortment of coins (plentiful dates for the Frankies). There just isn't a strong push for them. Steady maybe, but not strong.

I think Franklins are a terribly under-appreciated set. They are the last full (start to finish) 90% silver series. The last of a dieing breed, an old legacy. Also, although not impossible, it is somewhat challenging trying to find nice white MS set not bagged up ridiculously. You can however over time go out and put a nice set together for under $ 500 (uncertified). To me that's a good deal. thumbsup2.gif I've been working on my set for two years, very gradually picking up a piece here and there. It's been fun. I've only got like five or six peces left. smile.gif

I'll tell you Cat, there has been a sudden and strong surge in my little Franklin market. Many of my coins are sellin and sellin very fast...

but some prizes will remain in the HepKitty collection. such as this knockout 57:

571.jpg

Lookie at Frankie smile... The pics donnot do this extremely highly lusterous coin justice. It is, one of the prettiest I've ever seen. And that is saying alot....

thanks for all the great replies guys and gals!!!!

wow thumbsup2.giflucy that colorful toned franklin 1957 looks highly lusterous and also ms67!! 893applaud-thumb.gifflowerred.gif

wild and rare for a franklin

michael shy.gif

tom you are right on for the original skinned coins that are lightly toned with grest eye appeal they are really undervalued and you see more of those than the monsters

the monsters are good some are good like the series where the coins have not had huge increases and are still underapprecaited and do not have rabid demand as comapired to lincoln cents

and if some monsters are priced fairly that is great but some are really priced out of the stratsphere then i think they are neutral for buying unless you got someone who is trying to upgrade it then i really feel sorry for the end buyer!

i guess with everything else only time will tell!

michael

Whatever Franklins I had are going up for auction in January, regardless of the market. But if I had to do it again, I don't know how much attention I would place on FBL status. In fact, none. I would go for high grade less the FBL status and aesthetically pleasing toning with bounding mint luster. I had a 1963 MS66 FBL though, that was the absolutely most incredibly incredible Franklin I have ever seen. No, I don't care what anyone says, you will find no finer, even in non-FBL. In that case, I would have to go with the FBL. But, overall, I think the FBL is too overated..but not in all cases. If you need to take a magnifying glass to determine that this strike was better than that one, it's just getting way way too much.

Franklins are incredibly beautiful coins, and offer so much to collectors.

Exactly!! Many are falsely designated, anyway. I think that many graders may assume that all 1948 Franklins, i.e., are all full bell lines so they may not even check closely. I've seen many FBL designated coins with disruptions all over the place. I'd hate to be the one paying the huge premium just for lettering on a plastic holder.

Some of the Franklins are pretty tough in nice choice unc but are not standouts in gem. As increasing numbers of people attempt sets of these you'll see some of these come under a lot more pressure. The '54-S and many of the dates from the late '50's fall into this category.

Many of the tougher choice uncs are very low priced now.