• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This has to be PCGS's fault! What else could it be?

15 posts in this topic

Here is another seller, overgrading FS Jefferson nickels! And, of course, there are the bidders who bid on this hype. This is another example of PCGS failure to accurately grade FS nickels. The buyers and sellers catch wind of the registry hype and the big money spent on overly-graded modern coins and before you know it, every coin a seller has, is suddunly a MS67FS coin. 27_laughing.gif

The sellers pictures aren't clear or large enough to make a sound judgement on the condition of the coins and heck, there aren't any reverse pics whatsoever but yet these coins are selling? These people have certainly caught the bug from someone! 27_laughing.gif

Leo sign-rantpost.gif

seller is starting his auctions at 1 cent. Give him a break, I don't see any issue. Someone wants to buy some raw coins, they can find them here rather inexpensively.

seller is starting his auctions at 1 cent. Give him a break, I don't see any issue. Someone wants to buy some raw coins, they can find them here rather inexpensively.

I gotta disagree Lucy! Spending $30 on an overhyped graded 25 cent coin that won't grade higher then MS64, does bothers me a bit. But then again, there's all kinds out there and this group is getting smaller. One seller can't have all these MS67FS coins. The last seller I came across who was doing this shystering had several MS68 FS nickels. 27_laughing.gif

Leo

i didnt see any of these selling for 30... and, your not spending your money here are you? This person starts his auctions at 99 cents and the bidders are deciding what to pay.....

I did this with two of my auctions....... They did rather well I thought...

I agree with Lucy in that I found nothing wrong here. I clicked on the link that took me to the seller's auctions and found a very small number of auctions that were over $2, with the highest being a double Dutch auction at $4.95 for a wartime nickel.

None of this seems excessive to me, especially after you factor in the vig to eBay. The seller is literally making pennies on the dollar here -- and for all his effort to list the lots. Hardly a gouging venture, IMO.

I can imagine many sellers having to charge even more just to cover overhead.

Remember - the less the item, the greater the overhead.

EVP

I don't see a problem, looks full step to me smile.gif

Seriously, despite what the auction starts at, I think he should have a pic of the reverse so a bidder can make a determination on FS or not prior to bidding.

He may be doing himself a disservice by not showing the reverse/full steps as some people may not want to take the chance... thus he receives less bids.

-Dave

Lucy

If that skirt of yours was flying any higher, I'd start agreeing with you! 27_laughing.gif

Again, I'm not pointing my finger at this seller! Rather, it's likely, that I may be familiar with this seller but that doesn't matter. A MS67FS nickel should be worth much more then what this seller in receiveing. This reasoning alone should set off the alarms. I know several of the buyers, perhaps I should ask them for their thoughts?

"BUT" it's the Thanksgiving Holiday so again, the grounds for my point is at a continueous loss here with these forums, here and abroad!

Leo sign-rantpost.gif

Leo, as a collector of nothing but MS FS Jeffs, I see your point but also that of Lucys. Granted, the pics could be better and he really should include a reverse if not just the step area, but he may not be set up to do it. The seller only has one neg and it was to complain about his packaging, not the item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2201952551

This is how I sell my Jeffs. Notice how I was extremely over-paid for this beauty! 893frustrated.gif

David

Hi David

Nice coin! If it were that nice, I would not have let it go for that price. But I can see some minor spots on your coin. When no-one wants to pay my price then the coin will stay in my collection. Every collecter needs to know everything about the coin they are bidding/buying on. But for most sellers, all they will do is praise the coin until it's sold. I seldom buy from a seller who can't tell me something negative about any coin in question. Just to let you know, I'm a buyer for any great coin you may have and can let go. PM a list of your collection.

Leo

Remember - the less the item, the greater the overhead.

The overhead's fixed (i.e. $X per coin) BUT the PERCENTAGE of overhead in relation to the sale price is (much) greater with inexpensive coins.

So, if your over head is $10/coin, any coin that you sell for less than $10 you loose money on. Anyone selling coins this cheap is not gouging anyone - if his time is worth anything he's working for a fraction of minimum wage - (But if he could work several thousand hours per week he'd make it up in the volumn! devil.gif)

IF it were that nice???? It WAS that nice!!! Really did not want to sell it and even tried to get the bid winner to sell it back to me. Didn't really see how pretty it was until I had already listed and got bid on. Couldn't get myself to end the bid on it early with some made-up excuse to keep it.

After all my listings ended, I said no more!! I will keep what I've got rather then risk selling to a novice and unappreciative audience (eBay) for a pittance.

But that is only regarding eBay. Unfortunately, Leo, I sold all that I had that I wanted to let go. Will keep you in mind for the future though and I apreciate the offer. thumbsup2.gif

David

Lucy

If that skirt of yours was flying any higher, I'd start agreeing with you!

It was very windy.........

tbird101.jpg

Hi, Lucy!!

I'm glad that you didn't have a typo on the above quote. blush.gif It could have said, "I was very windy......"

Ooops! Sorry. grin.gif