• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1828 Half cent

14 posts in this topic

:blush: Thanks for pointing out the typo, fixed it.

Also this is is variety C-3, which the way I understand it is a weak strike to begin with.

For example

http://www.coinfacts.com/half_cents/1828_half_cent_varieties/1828_half_cent_c03.htm

The one on this page is MS-65 and still has flat stars and the bottom 1/3 of the reverse is pretty sloppy looking.

VF20 or so for me.

James, James! This coin is virtually in EF. An EAC'er would give it at least a VF-30. I'd go VF-35. If you are buying this via market grading it's an EF.

And yes they did strike half cents in 1828. It's one of the most common dates, and there are a fair number of Mint State pieces around. Even the scarcer 12 star variety can be found in EF or better after a bunch them cropped up in the late 1980s.

As usual, I whipped out the ANA book :o and I am torn between VF 35 and XF 40.

(I bet you guys will be real glad when the new grading book arrives so I can at least have 2 sources to check!!)

RI AL

Buggman1974 is right of course in his attribution of C-3 (Cohen from "American Half Cents, the Little Half Sisters"). This is a rarity 1 or common variety. Nice looking coin.

And here is an 1828 C-2, the 12 star variety. This is one of my favorite mint blunders. Now I think we have covered the whole 1828 1/2 cent series. That's neat!!! I thought I posted this earlier this evening but for some reason...it poofed. I probably pushed a wrong darned button ...again!

half2-1.jpg

And yes they did strike half cents in 1828.

Read my post again, very carefully :baiting: He had a typo that he fixed before the rest of you sleepyheads woke up.

Yup, I accidently had 1928 in the topic title.

Al was the only one to call it right. It is graded at an XF40

IMG_0092.jpg

"Al was the only one to call it right. It is graded at an XF40"

:acclaim:

Actually, my XF 40 guess was a result of looking at one of my certified half cents, a bit of luck...and my handy-dandy ANA grading book, so I really can't take the credit. The TPG already did much of the work for me. Still...it is my moment in the sun. :banana: RI AL

IMG_0092.jpg