• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ohhh Noooo Not the SPOONS - (chuckle) - US MINT

14 posts in this topic

US Mint to reduce product line from 500 to 200

THANK YOU U.S. MINT! For the first time, I feel like they are actually listening! I think they could discontinue even more, but this is an excellent start!

Discontinued Products

United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin Historical Signature SetsTM

United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin – Individual Proof CoinsTM

American Eagle Platinum Uncirculated Coins (all options)

American Eagle Platinum Proof 1⁄2, 1⁄4, 1/10, and Four-Coin Sets

American Eagle Gold Uncirculated 1⁄2, 1⁄4, 1/10, and Four-Coin Sets

American Buffalo Uncirculated Gold Coins (all options)

American Buffalo Proof 1⁄2, 1⁄4, 1/10, and Four-Coin Sets

50 State Quarters® First Day Coin Covers (continue through 2008)

Greetings From America Portfolios and Card Sets

Coin and Die Sets

Collectible Spoons

Fractional Buffalo's didn't last long

American Buffalo Uncirculated Gold Coins (all options) ---- does this mean the bullion version and burnished? Sorry if this is a dumb question. But, this is one of my fav. moderns.

Good timing for me I guess. I just bought a 1 oz. Platinum W Unc and a 1 oz. Buffalo Unc both were bought with the thought being the numbers of minted are so low. The platinum number I last saw for a "W" unc was 326!

But wow are they cutting things to the bone. It does seem odd that the fractional's were cut so quickly.

Great post.

ldhair, that was my question too (this year only).

How can they discontinue gold unc fractionals, platinum unc's (period), platinum proof frac's, etc..?

I understand the spoons and die sets.....WTF were these about. Dies that were ground off....could have at least made some sort of mark rather than grinding them off.

United States Mint Embarks on Major Update of Its Numismatic Product Portfolio

WASHINGTON - The United States Mint is conducting a comprehensive, top-to-bottom review of its numismatic product portfolio to focus next year on those products collectors most appreciate and order most often.

"We are responding to the collector community which has spoken loudly and clearly," said United States Mint Director Ed Moy. "Customers have told us there are just too many products. We agree, and it's time the United States Mint trims down and concentrates on the products our customers love most."

Trimming the 2009 portfolio will afford the United States Mint the opportunity to focus resources on its core products. It will spotlight offerings with broad appeal, such as its annual United States Mint Proof Sets. With fewer products to manufacture, the United States Mint will be able to offer proof sets and other products earlier in the calendar year beginning in 2010, making them available for customers to purchase for more occasions.

The United States Mint relied principally on the number of units sold in determining which products or product lines have been most popular with collectors and other customers. More than 550 individual coin and medal products were evaluated; nearly 200 of those coin and medal products will remain in the new portfolio.

The United States Mint will analyze its products each year to ensure the best portfolio is maintained.

Customer Service information: (800) USA MINT (872-6468)

I like it! There are WAY TOO MANY US Mint products to collect.buy! Maybe if they focus on a core set of products, they wouldn't have to stop production in the middle of the year. And maybe, just maybe, be in a position to mirror the market prices when the spot $$$ changes????

Why don't they just own up to their blunder and admit that their greedy attempt to sell so many different overpriced products resulted in sloppy workmanship.

I was becoming rather tired of returning items of unacceptable quality.

Chris

OH no, not the spoons! My mother-in-law thinks those are the neatest collectibles around, and she collects more junk than anyone I've ever known. Now what am going to give her for birthdays and Christmas?

OH no, not the spoons! My mother-in-law thinks those are the neatest collectibles around, and she collects more junk than anyone I've ever known. Now what am going to give her for birthdays and Christmas?

PROOF EAGLES ???(shrug)