• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

best seated series??

15 posts in this topic

half dimes and dimes! followed closely by trade dollars i think trade dollars are seated coins!!??

another close follower are the quarters and twenty cent pieces/halves

the dollars are too expensive for most

but i guess all are overall good

michael

I like Civil War era and pre-Civil War Seated Dimes. All of the Stars Obverse dimes are really tough in any grade above MS63. I think that they are much more scarce than people think.

Now, Michael, is it really necessary for me to reply? smile.gif

Any proof cameo seated liberty is just alright by me! I just love my 1885 quarter!

Civilizations will rise and fall, governments will be shattered, relationships cease but that quarter will still be awesome!

post a photo/scan victor

that 1885 you got is a magic date seated quarter in strongly cameoed/ultra cameo

michael shy.gif

Oh-tay, Michael. Here it is:

324913-1885Pr64CamSLQ.jpg.0a2adb47516549eee6dc91886bd51341.jpg

gp,

I think that this may be my favorite coin in my collection to date. I love nineteenth century proof cameo coins above all others and, as disposable income becomes available, I'm going to work on an 1885 cameo proof set.

That's a very tough choice; I like them all. On pure asthetics I'd choose the Twenty Cent Piece, followed closely by the Trade Dollar. They both feature a less muscular/chunky more feminine portrail of Liberty paired with a somewhat ornothologically correct eagle. The Gobrecht Dollar would be close behind on the strength of its incredible flying eagle reverse.

If I were choosing based on collecting interest my favorite series would be the half dimes. Type examples are affordable and I find the obsolete denominations fascinating. Also, Liberty seems slightly less portly and pumpkin headed than on the dimes. wink.gif Next would be the Twenty Cent, another lost denomination. If the Gobrechts were less expensive they might be first or second--maybe in a few years.

BC

893blahblah.gif

On pure asthetics I'd choose the Twenty Cent Piece, followed closely by the Trade Dollar. They both feature a less muscular/chunky more feminine portrail of Liberty paired with a somewhat ornothologically correct eagle. The Gobrecht Dollar would be close behind on the strength of its incredible flying eagle reverse.

If I were choosing based on collecting interest my favorite series would be the half dimes. Type examples are affordable and I find the obsolete denominations fascinating. Also, Liberty seems slightly less portly and pumpkin headed than on the dimes.

Very true but absolutely no woman is as homely as the portrait on the draped bust series. Man, talking about dog ugly. To coin a new word: How dugly!