• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

These calif. fracs always stump me. Is this a fake?

11 posts in this topic

I've always wanted one of these whether it was fake or not just to have one. I paid total $4.96 for this. was it worth it? I know the pic is poor. Sellers pic!

calfrac.jpg

It's a replica.

I figured it was. I've looked at Mike Lockes website and thought it was a replica like he shows. I still wanted one anyway just to keep. Don't think I paid too much for a rep.

Yea, it's a copy. The reverse proably has a bear and fraction on it without the word "cents" or "dol."

Woolworth's used to sell these for $2 apiece back in the 1960s.

It's a replica.

This coin doesn't come close to resembling any genuine fractional gold coin so this coin would be more properly termed a fantasy coin.

I agree that the term "replica" was technically inaccurate. Is it really a "coin" though, either, fantasy or otherwise? ;)

So,how do you tell a genuine gold fractional.Besides price!! I'd like to have on too.Very intriguing little coins.

A good start is to get the Breen Gillio book and compare the coin with the detailed pics in the book. If your coin doesn't exactly match one of the pics in the book, it's either a new discovery piece (extremely unlikely) or it's a fake/fantasy piece.

californiagold1858B.jpg

Just about all the tokens sold today have a reverse with a bear that resembles the grizzly on the California State Flag, but the bear is always facing to the right on the token, as opposed to the left on the state flag. The well known design with a bear on the back was invented sometime after 1900 (perhaps 1915). The early issues have a denomination that includes the word DOLLAR or CENTS or an abbreviation thereof. This design became quite popular and is still made today. Note, not ALL tokens have the bear, others have fantasy designs.

california_state_flag.jpg

Many of these modern stamped out “Bear” tokens are electroplated with 10 microns of 14 karat scrap gold. (2.5 microns = 1/1000 of a millimeter) or .00015 inch thickness.

That’s 15/10,000 thousands of an inch, not very much.

You mathematicians might want to check my calculation.

General Information

"Cal" - An affectionate "short-hand" term used by collectors of California Fractional Gold (also, called California Small Denomination Gold) from Periods 1, 2 and 3.

"Token" - As used here at www.calgoldonline.com, any piece that is not a Cal (as defined above).

Here is a quick "rule of thumb" to determine whether a California Gold piece is a genuine Cal or a token:

1. None of Cals has a bear on the bottom of the reverse. Only tokens have such.

2. All Cals show either "CENTS" or "DOLLAR" (or, any variation of "DOLLAR") on the reverse. One exception: BG-1328, which should be deleted from the next edition of "California Pioneer Fractional Gold" since this piece does not show either word (or any variation of it).

TAKE NOTE:

NOT ALL tokens with a “Bear” on the reverse are considered as just trinkets,.

There exsists 5 varieties have the Bear on the reverse ¼-½-1 dollar, all these tokens are scarce or rare today.

1915caldol110408.jpg

Original price $1.25 value on today’s market $100

ISSUED IN 1915 BY M. E. HART AS PART OF THE "COINS OF THE GOLDEN WEST" SET WHICH WERE SOLD AT THE 1915 PAN PACIFIC EXPOSITION HELD IN SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA

California gold charms that resemble the fractional gold issued in the 1850s. Produced by M.E. Hart as part of his Coins of the Golden West series. Solid 10k of native gold.

They were originally sold for .40-$1.25 set of three $2.25

The reverse of these pieces is similar to certain California gold charms that resemble the fractional gold issued in the 1850s. Produced by M.E. Hart as part of his Coins of the Golden West series.

These were stamped with dies in the early 1900’s by the following company:

M.E. Hart

560 Powell St.

San Francisco, California

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Copies of copies? Yes!

All Bear1 varieties of Hurkett's 1972 tokens which depict the 1900 mintages of tokens are extremely common today.

These modern replicas are struck from “Goldine” metal (85% copper-15% zinc) and then gold plated

They sold for .75ea. in the mid 1970’s.

Add’l Notes:

The manufacture of gold dollars, halves and quarters ceased in 1856, probably as federal silver coins from the new San Francisco Mint took their place. For reasons now uncertain, their production resumed in 1859, these being the first of the Period Two (1859-82) coins. It’s believed that such later issues were produced mostly for sale as charms and souvenirs of the Gold Rush and of San Francisco. By now somewhat civilized, the city of gold had become popular with tourists from the East and from Europe. Period Two coins were often debased, and some were merely gold-plated over silver.

All known Category 7 coins were made between 1900 and 1970. All were made from new dies which do not match the old designs. They are best identified by comparing your piece to a list of the known pieces.

The last suggestion that if you are looking for an actual California Fractional gold coin, look for ones that have already be certified genuine along with an attribution. This is the only way for the novice collector to assure what they are buying is in fact the real deal.

Good luck

Well I thought I'd share what I got. The pics aren't real good. This thing looks like he just minted it in-hand! Pic taken thru the 2x2 it came in.

1852FakeCalGold.jpg