• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coinfest,CAC and Rick Snow

13 posts in this topic

Took a three ride hour this morning at 5:45am to Stamford Conn. Nice ride not to much traffic, one pit stop for liguid fuel.

Arrived at the show a little after 9:00. Made my way up to the second floor where the show was and decided to hang and see if I saw any old friends. CAC had there table set up in this waiting area, and since I grabbed 20 of my coins for the free opinion, thought I would wait it out around there. Luckily they opened up there table early 9:25 and started to pass out forms. I was third in line, so I filled out my form, left the cell phone number and was told turn around would be about two hours. Just about the time I finished they were letting people in the door.

Made my way around the floor fairly quickly, making mental notes on which tables to come back to. I was looking for anything eye appealing and proof indian cents. Saw quite a few old friends, Irma Kane, Teletrade, Charles Browne Certified rare assets, Lance Schor, and many many others. Certified had some real killer coins in their cases. 1879-CC in 66, 79-cc/cc in 64DMPL. Some amazing gold and many others. There were a lot of dealers who had medals and so called dollars, many more than I am used to seeing.

Saw TomB , he had just dropped off some 36 coins at CAC for review, his and his wifes (uh huh). He told me he emailed Mark Feld ahead of time as to what he thought his final results would be. Mark told Tom he was some what optomistic. I left before Tom got his coins back.

I went back to the tables I noticed had coins I wanted to look at. Angel Dees table had some nice proof indians, but the ones that caught my eye I already had. I found my way over to Rick Snows table and looked at quite a few of his coins. I ended up buying two proof Indians from him, a 1904 and 1887 both 65's. The 04 is a PCGS 65RB and the 87 is a NGC BN. Very comfortable with his pricing, does not try to kill you. I would recommend him to any and all.

Well at 1:00pm I thought I would go pick up my CAC coins. Thought was all I did, they were not ready. Some of the people who submitted with me had already recieved theirs back. I waited until 2:15 and went to the table to see if there was a problem. No problem I was told just maybe your boxed got pushed back out of order. Finally my cell phone rang as I was standing beside the CAC table and a voice on the other end saids come pick up your coins. I turned to my left and looked right at the person on the phone, no more than three feet from me and smiled. He told me he was sorry for the delay, but my box had to be looked at by a reviewer familar with toning. Ok I guess thats cool, since they were free.

My final results, drum roll please, 18 for 20 with one gold. Seemed to be just a little better than most were getting as I watched over thirty people pick up their coins while I waited for mine. I saw one other gold sticker during my time. Needless to say I am happy to see that they consider my coins strong for the grade. One other thing, the two coins that did not pass were marked "not PQ". I submitted 9 proof Indians, 10 Morgans and one peace dollar

Thanks for the report. Will we get to see pics of any of them??? :) I would especially like to see the ones deemed as "Not PQ" Sounds like most of them are A+! Congrats.

Shawn

As much as I support John Albanese and CAC, I think that the "PQ"/"not PQ" language is ambiguous, confusing and often inaccurate. And I have stated that here and to CAC on numerous occasions. ;)

As always, it was great to see you, Jack. Of course, the coins you bring with you are killers, too. My overall predictions were close to the reality of the submission, but some coins wobbled one way or the other.

No sticker-3 coins (predicted 2 coins)

Green sticker-31 coins (predicted 30 coins)

Gold sticker-2 coins (predicted 4 coins)

Total-36 coins

Mark- On CAC`s website they give their definition of PQ. Solid for the grade, B coins, and highend, A coins,is PQ to them. Of course PQ could mean something different to someone else. But I like them trying to separate those low end, C coins, without stickers, from the stickered A and B coins. They were so busy at Coinfest yesterday, 3-4 collectors at their table for 4 hours, except 1 short lull. I wondered last year at Coinfest if CAC would catch on. Well after yesterday and watching many collectors submit their coins, I would say YES, they have caught on. My better half was not up to par yesterday so the comfortable couch across from CAC made for a great view of CAC submissions. Sorry to go on a tangent!

Mark- On CAC`s website they give their definition of PQ. Solid for the grade, B coins, and highend, A coins,is PQ to them
Can you point me to where that is? I took a quick look, after not having been on their site for a while, and didn't see it. Thanks.

Mark- Go on FAQ at top of home page.
Thanks. I think it should be much more conspicuous/easier to locate than it is, perhaps within the dark red area on the upper left portion of the home page ;)

Jack is possible would you post a picture of your gold CAC Morgan for others on the board to see? I saw the coin in hand – amazing would be an under statement!!

Tom B brought in an outstanding lot of coins for CAC review. Tom because of all I have learned from you I now officially assign you the position of Mentor :cool:

I brought 20 coins in for review and received Green Stars on 13. This is not really bad considering all but two of those coins were purchased site unseen from E Bay , Heritage and Bowers. The 1917-D MS65 FH SLQ that was purchased as a 1917 for 1917 prices did not get a star because of lack of luster. The PCGS MS64 1913 MS Quarter Eagle that I purchased raw on EBAY for an MS62 price was given a green star and was considered an “A” coin. All but one of my Bust Halves received a green star.

The most important piece of information I picked up yesterday was the risk involved when buying sight unseen. I have picked up some nice coins for amazing prices but I have also picked up some dogs. Mark Feld helped me out at the Palm Beach Auction by viewing the coins I was interested in bidding on. His comment to me was that he thought I was crazy to bid sight unseen so he offered to check out the coins in hand and give me his opinion. His recommendation scored me a nice 1833 MS61 Bust that did get a green yesterday. His advice to not bid on the other coins undoubtedly saved me from purchasing sub par coins.