• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1944-P Walking Liberty

9 posts in this topic

Here is one more Walking Liberty that I recently purchased. It is hard to make out in the photo, but in the right field of the obverse there are 2 contact marks/scratches approximately 1/8" of an inch long (above "In God We Trust"). I don't know if they would be considered distracting,, but they are definitely noticeable when the coin is tilted in the light. There are also a couple additional very little scratches in the right field. This photo was taken by the seller.

1944-P Walking Liberty (Sorry about the link. I could not figure out how to embed the image.)

What are your opinions? Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking 65..fantastic strike and luster...I have an MS66 that is almost identical--including the light scratch in the same field

Since you have come up with two similar looking coins in a raw, I'm starting think we are looking at some work with an agent like MS-70 here. That might explain the huge amount of luster. These coins are more often frosty, not P-L. As such I'm not sure that the coin would grade.

This one is not a nice as the first coin you posted. It does have that dull spot on Ms. Liberty's breast that would indicate a wear spot. I'll go with AU-58. If the luster is original someone would pay Unc. money for the coin anyway.

From what I've seen when MS-70 was used the results were a Proof-Like look that has an unnatural cast to it. I'm not saying that both of your coins had that treatment, but it is very unusual to see two Walking Liberty half dollars with these types of bright fields together. Most Walking Liberty half dollars from the 1940s have frosted surfaces, not bright surfaces.