• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's amazing what $5.50 will get on eBay

13 posts in this topic

Some of you may know about the promotion that eBay was running over the summer where you earned eBay bucks as a percentage of your purchases. They even had a ten day period where your eBay bucks were tripled. I joined the program and made several smaller purchases and a couple of larger ones during the triple bucks period using the MS cashback too. Well, after the promotion period was over you had about three weeks to use your eBay bucks. I was having trouble finding something worth getting but on the day before they expired I managed to win this Peace Dollar. My total cost after the eBay bucks coupon was $5.50 deliverd.

It's in an ANACS small white slab attributed as a doubled die obverse VAM-3, which is a top 50. I verified the VAM on VAM World and found that it is actually a VAM-9 which has similar doubling.

Please feel free to comment or guess the grade. The images were not taken with any intent to hide anything but I have found that images of Peace Dollars can be somewhat decieving, more than most other types of coins. ;)

68482.jpg.c3835787f6b133802e5b6225ed99aba5.jpg

Well Randy----- Don't know how much time and effort this deal took?? But, the end result was certainly a nice coin. Not much on grading these things---but I like the coin. One thing for sure. Every time you look at it you'll remember your efforts fondly. Great pickup. Bob [supertooth]

Nice looking pickup for $5.50.

I receive ebay/paypal coupons every now and again and was able to save a nice little chunk of change when I bought one jgrinz SBA's a few weeks ago. :)

Again, VERY nice Peace Dollar!

RGT. Peace dollars are hard to grade for me...but from what I see, yours is a beauty. As usual, I whipped out a couple of books to check for high points and prime focal points; stuff like that, and I see nothing about your coin that would indicate less than mint state. The eagle's wing is a bit soft but I learned that the 1922-1928 coins were struck in low relief and lack sharpness of lettering and details.

My guess would be MS 64 with a chance at 65. Unless I missed something, I see no significant marks, I love the edge toning and the luster. Nice coin...and for $5.50...i'd say you dok "OK". ;)

Great buy for $5.50 or even double that! From the photo seems to be softly struck, with lots of small ticks and bumps. Liberty’s cheek seems nice.

You're right about Peace dollars being more difficult to grade in the AU-Unc range. The mushy detail & lettering, combined with uncertain strike depth and lots of bag marks keep things confused. The new Peace dollar book from Whitman (release date is 11/11/08) has a short section on grading. I'd appreciate any comments from book readers.

Was it in an ANACS slab when you bought it? I'm not that knowledgable on Peace Dollars but I will give it a shot........MS63.....Nice Toning......Very nice imaging too.

Dean (thumbs u

Bob, I'm not sure the deal really took a whole lot of effort. The ebay bucks were just accumulated over a 2-3 month period. The only real effort was in the finding of something worth spending them on. I wasn't worried until a few days before they were going to expire. I was determined to spend them, even if it was just on something I would re-sell. Fortunately I found something to keep. (thumbs u

I put together an AU set of Peace Dollars a few years ago and I am now picking up some MS pieces as I find nice ones for nice prices. I have Roger's book on order and I'm anxious to read it.

This coin has a bit of weakness in the central areas but the lettering is much better than I usually see on the 1922 and 1923 issues. I bought the coin already in the old small ANACS holder graded MS62. When I first looked at the coin in hand I thought that is was an easy upgrade to MS63. Then I put a loupe on in and decided that maybe it was just fine as an MS62. As Roger said, the coin has a lot of small ticks that don't really show up well in the images. The luster and eye appeal are excellent an I suppose it could find it's way into a 63 holder. Given the price jump to MS63 it might be worth a shot.

I have noticed that most Peace Dollars look much better in images about the size that I used than they do in hand. I think they quite often have many small ticks that hold the grade down but just don't show up well until you ger very large pictures. To me the picture of this one looks like it could be an MS64 coin.

I believe that Conder101 mentioned in another post recently that you should always check the attribution of coins yourself instead of relying on the TPG. While ANACS has always been pretty good with attributions this is a case where they got it wrong. Of course the VAM book only lists three VAM numbers for the 1928-S and this coin is in an old holder. The VAM-9 had probably not even been discoverd when this coin was attributed, and it does have very similar doubling.

Is it just me, or do those old small ANACS holders tend to tone coins like that? I've got a Franklin in an old holder thats toned very similarly, maybe a little bit moreso. I think its rather attractive, I'm just concerned that if it is the holder and not a pre-existing condition that it might become ugly over time.

They extended that promotion.I think it ends in a couple days. I've got around $45.00 "saved" in ebay bucks.And you can combine that with coupons or cash.Hmm.What to buy?

They must have a series of them because the one I was in ended in August and I bought the coin in September (I'm a bit slow with my pictures, but I'm catching up).

I have a handful of Peace Dollars in the old ANACS holders and they do seem to have similar toning. I'm not sure that it's the holder, but I guess it's possible. I know that the old PCI holders would tone coins some times. I may need to drag all of my small ANACS holdered Peace Dollars out and look at them together. hm