• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bodybagged??

18 posts in this topic

Just got the email from NCS saying these coins were bodybagged. I sent 9 coins in and 6 are going to NGC for grading so I am not complaining, just trying to learn and not cost myself too much money. I wanted to get the "dirt" removed from the headband on the 1904 and the spot on the obv of he 1869 toward the forehead. Any thoughts here? I can't see what NGC is seeing? Also my VF 1914 D that I cracked out of the NGC slab got bodybagged??

Thanks for any opinions?

IMG_3414.jpgIMG_3416.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3415.jpgIMG_3418.jpg

1904MS64R.jpg1904MS64R4700.jpg

Usually NCS or NGC will label the coin why it was body-bagged. The 1869 IHC looks good to me but in hand it might have been lightly cleaned. I can't tell what the spot you are referring to is. It doesn't look distractiong.

Dean

The 1869 looks marginal to me. It likely was cleaned or possibly dipped, but has retoned (or been retoned...) rather nicely. I bet most of the time, it gets slabbed - provided that spot is not active. This might be an ideal candidate for an acetone bath, but a better choice would be NCS.

Oh, and this coin IS in the value range where certification can be a good idea.

The 1869 looks marginal to me. It likely was cleaned or possibly dipped, but has retoned (or been retoned...) rather nicely. I bet most of the time, it gets slabbed - provided that spot is not active. This might be an ideal candidate for an acetone bath, but a better choice would be NCS

Oh, and this coin IS in the value range where certification can be a good idea.

I believe he said that NCS is bagging the coins - at least that was my interpretation of his post

oooooooooooooooooooooo my 5000 post coooooooooooooooool

As far as the 1914 being cracked out and BB'ed on re-submit, that does not surprise me. I have sent in cracked out coins from top slabs and coins still in a top slab and have received mixed results.

While it is the goal of the top TPG's to be consistent, grading is a subjective art with applied science principles. Moreover, there have been perceived periods of under/over grading for certain coins in the past.

I would not crack out any coins unless you are very confident of the result that you are looking for on re-submit to whomever you are sending the coin to for grading.

Generally, now, I wait for the right coin in the slab that I am looking for. I have read here and elsewhere that the majority favors cracking, but, again, I would be cautious.

Can I have one of the bodybags? (I don't care about the coin, I just want the BB) I only have a couple NCS bodybags and they are for several years ago. They have changed their holder twice since then and I need to see if they have changed their body bag as well.

If not can I at least get good pictures of the BB (Both sides)?

I have had a couple of flying eagle/IHC coins that were BB'ed by NGC for spots very similar to your coins. I still could see the "Improper Cleaning" in those small spots very well, even under 10X magnification. Someone had taken an Exacto knife, Dremel or whatever and had removed (probably what was) verdigris or something in those spots and they fooled me and the auction house that I bought them from. NGC is very intolerant of any spots on these series of bronze and copper coins.

Show is an 1857 flying eagle cent with a small discoloration next to the right wing of the eagle for reference. Not the best scan, but you get the idea.

1857Cent.jpg

The coins from NCS were bodybagged in that they won't be sent to NGC. This email was sent to me from Danielle at NCS:

" This order is complete and will be shipping today. The three coins listed below did not transfer over to NGC because of the noted problem.

1904 1C – Unc Details Altered Color

1869 1C – Unc Details Improperly Cleaned

1914 D 1C – VF Details Improperly Cleaned "

Every damn thing they look at lately is "improperly cleaned". Must be all that stuff from Ebay. I'll tell you what it looks like to me.You have a few hairlines from removing and inserting into flips and they call it "improperly cleaned".

Prudden I respectfully disagree, cents like these are not labeled "Improperly Cleaned" for a few hairlines. These coins had most likely been worked, probably to remove discoloration spots. This category of BB'ed coins is normally not for incidental hairlines.

Every damn thing they look at lately is "improperly cleaned". Must be all that stuff from Ebay. I'll tell you what it looks like to me.You have a few hairlines from removing and inserting into flips and they call it "improperly cleaned".
That's obviously an absurd exaggeration. And generally speaking, light hairlines on a coin don't result in it being rejected as "improperly cleaned".

That's obviously an absurd exaggeration. And generally speaking, light hairlines on a coin don't result in it being rejected as "improperly cleaned".

Of course it's an exaggeration.It comes out of frustration.The couple Morgans that were BB'ed on me I was the most sure of.'Nuff said.

Of course it's an exaggeration.It comes out of frustration.The couple Morgans that were BB'ed on me I was the most sure of.'Nuff said.

But your being the most sure of of the ones that ended up being BB'd doesn't necessarily mean NGC was overly harsh. ;)

"Also my VF 1914 D that I cracked out of the NGC slab got bodybagged??"

As I wrote earlier, this has happened to me. While sending in raw coins the result is never certain, but previously graded and slabbed is disconcerting.