• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funny story about humidity and coins

5 posts in this topic

I've been mulling over the possiblity of having to sell a good part of my collection of Capped Bust Halves. Coinfest starts tommorrow, and I planned on being there Saturday, but...to make a long story short

well...

maybe I'll make it a long story...

I had my kitchen redone ( a combination of Home Depot and Flooring America)

Soon after I established the credit, my tooth broke. It needed a root canal and a cap. $2,000.00...Oi Vey... fortunately, my dentist is allowing me to pay with installments. Phew. THEN, the damn dishwasher broke down, and I had to buy a new one. New kitchen, new dishwasher...last time I went cheap,,,,this time I just can't..

ok, I got a kitchenaid...

THEN THEN, I developed tendonitis in my left hand and forget about painting, so I had to hire a painter

and then the darn refrigerator broke. OK..it was on it's way out a year ago, but if I jiggled it or hit it in the right place when the motor failed, it would start again. It made it's final surge the other day and just died.

OK...

I go on the internet and do a search and find wow...the right refrigerator, $150 off, no shipping, and a bonus that made up for the taxes....I had a three day window, and I fell for it and ordered the refrigerator (a GE).

The refrigerator comes.

I see they didn't reverse the doors as I had asked

Damn, I can't return it, I've got frozen steaks in my sink piled in ice...I NEED that refrigerator.

THEN...I find that the butter dish is broken

THEN...the delivery guys scraped the paint off of my freshly painted wall

then they scraped the paint off the doorway

and then...they ...well....I'm so sick of it, I can't even go on...

well, the point is...I went to the bank to take a look at my collection and think about what I might or might not sell. I unpacked the coins from their intercept shield boxes kept in a plastic garbage bag with a box of water absorbant crystals, tied off with a twisty.

As I took each coin out of the box, water vapor condensed on each slab, so much so, that I had to wipe them off several times. (the vault is very cold, always, and I guess the air was too warm...whatever...each slab fogged over and the crystals were now pink, so they needed to be baked again.)

What am I getting at?

I forget now....

OH yes, I called GE, told them about the refrigerator, they said I could send it back, so I thought....well....just get rid of the darn thing...it was too small anyway..

I decided to go to Sears (which I should have done in the first place) and physically found the perfect refrigerator...of course, for $300 more, no less...

but it will be delivered on Saturday

and Saturday was the day I planned on going to Coinfest.

I was just too depressed to pick out Busties...I thought I'd show TomB and some others, but figured they wouldn't be there on Friday...the only day I could go...

Well...turns out Tom will be there on Friday, and I did pull out a few coins that I want people to see..but no busties..

one is a $5 gold piece with absolutely terrific toning that you have to see to believe

another is a 1921 Morgan Dollar with a nice golden brown toning, I'll likely sell

and then there's that 1832 Bustie that I may trade in for something I'll be seeing at the show.

Alas. after looking at each and every coin in my collection, wiping off the condensation, I discovered the lighting at the bank brought out the colors in my coins far better than what I had at home (tungsten). And how else can I say it....my heart ached....I felt....I couldn't possibly part with ANY of these coins...

Welll...the future is fluid

Dang, I hate the way bad luck ebbs and flows like that! You can be going along very nicely, when WHAM! it hits all at once. Sorry for the expensive little diversions life has taken you on!

As many board members know, a few years ago, my car was totaled by a lady yacking on her cell-phone. She accelerated her huge, lumbering SUV right through a stop sign and blind-sided me, destroying the front end of my car and kicking off the airbag in the process. For the once and only time in my life, I had to sell of coins and fast, since the insurance company gave me only a pittance. I ended up selling off my beloved Liberty Nickel collection. It was a set of super original MS-64 minimum coins in a Dansco album. I made good money on it, and it was more than enough to pay for the car.

I really still haven't recovered from that, since I do not put any additional money into my collection. In order to buy something, I have to sell something. Sadly, I've never had the heart since to work again on Liberty nickels. I'm certain my coins are long since slabbed and sold off like so many trinkets. The moral is that for me, once I lose heart in something, it's over. I just can't bring myself to look at Liberty nickels anymore, much less restore my collection of them. So be careful! You might find that once you sell off your precious busties, your heart goes out with them.

Hope your luck improves TREMENDOUSLY!

MikeKing... :signofftopic:

Jeeeeeeze...And I was all ticked off this morning when the new kitchen vent/light thingy over the stove hissed, spit, wheezed and did agononizing sounding death throws. She's a gonner :P ...less than 1 year old...but after your story...I feel like I've been blessed!

My sympathies, believe me. We have all been there. As they say on one of my favorite bumper stickers: SH-- HAPPENS! (I don't have one on my car...but there are days...) Man, I think you got a triple helping!! :tonofbricks:

Just as a side note...I don't know why I'm saying this...just hoping to make MikeKing feel a little bit better...in my old 97 Corolla, I was rear ended 7 times in my 24 years of driving to the high school to work. Every time it was a woman, and for some strange reason, the majority of them were blond with sporty red cars. Anyway, after #7, (I was only a bit hurt in 1 or 2 and thrapy did the trick) I printed a big sign on my computer, in multi-colors, laminated it and taped it inside my back window. It said, PLEASE STAY BACK. I'VE BEEN REAR ENDED 7 TIMES AND I HURT!! Guess what...I was never hit again. :wishluck: That Corolla is now gone and the new 2009 is my birthday present...which my wife is driving... and I got her 2002 Subaru. Gee...that's fair...I think hm

Hang in there. It gets better!

RI AL