• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is INS??? ... Big Scans added for Conder

17 posts in this topic

What is INS???

Ain't them the dudes that send them illegal immigrants back across the border? :baiting:

No, those are the dudes who have their hands tied when the illegals come here.

Chris

Typewriter font letters...I bet those are pre 1986 flips.

Never seen them before, could be from a local club or organization.

It looks to me like those are PVC flips.

Chris

What is INS???

Ain't them the dudes that send them illegal immigrants back across the border? :baiting:

No, those are the dudes who have their hands tied when the illegals come here.

Chris

:signfunny: That's funny, I don't care who you are.

Found this site with a brief mention of INS, here is an excerpt, notice the mention of NGC being a small grading service? :)

"There are numerous other grading services of varying size and repute. None approach the "big three" in volume and organizational strength so the market for coins certified by one of these organizations is very high. Among the more notable of the smaller services are the International Numismatic Society (INS) in Washington, D.C., the Rare Coin Exchange in Chicago and the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC)."

Linky pooh

http://www.mycoincollecting.com/rare-coins/companion-rare-coin-collecting-Part4.html

Looks like a pair of decent Two and Three cent pieces. INS was a grading and encapsulating company in the early 80's through the 90's.Looks like you have a couple of very early specimens of theirs. Here's a picture of an actual INS slab. Lousy thing is,I removed it from the slab,sent for grading and it came back obverse cleaned.

68401.jpg.e4ebaa528235ac482a3d9cfa28c6bc91.jpg

INS was the second authentication service. They started up in 1975 just a couple years after ANACS (ANACS started in 1972 not 1974 as the MyCoinCollecting site says.) It was based in Washington DC, the same place as ANACS at the time. There earliest holders used Polaroid images of the coins and the certification was on a separate certificate, at first a postcard size and then later an 8 1/2 X 11 one ith much more detail about the coin. In 1976 Charles Hoskins left as director of ANACS and moved to INS where he became the company President. In 1979 they added grading to their certificates as well.

In 1985 they licensed the use of the photoslab shells from Accugrade and began produced slabbed coins. The one Prudden posted is either an INS-3 or and INS-4 slab the difference being the addition of a serial number on the back of the INS-4.

In 1992 the company relocated to Philadelphia PA. The slabs changed to an orange label and the words Authentication Bureau were replaced with a Coin Capsule logo.

The last INS slab seen dates from 1997. The company has relocated once again and i now in Aston PA. The label is now a yellow orange and the INS has a new logo. At this point I think the company was now little more than Charles Hoskins just doing soe slabbing on the side. Aston PA is the last known address I have for him. INS -5 slabs from Philadelphia are few and far between, then with the five year jump before the INS-6 slab is probably a good indication that the company was pretty much defunct. Only one example of the INS-6 slab has been seen.

The slab company information on the Error World Administrators page came from me. I gave Jan Schwenk the information in answer to a question from him, and he then "generously donated it" to the website without asking me. Later when someone pointed out the website to me I agreed they could keep it and provided the information on companies 74 through 83. They attributed the information to Kerridee which is my sister-in-laws craft company. (My computer was down and I provided the information through her computer.)

The INS holders in the original post are quite interesting. This is not a holder I have seen befor and it most certainly comes between the INS-2 and INS-3 holders which would probably date it to around 1982 to 1985.

Maulemall, are these yours? Are they available? Do you know of other examples? Do you have other pictures? What does the back side look like?

Maulemall, are these yours? Are they available? Do you know of other examples? Do you have other pictures? What does the back side look like?

Thanks for the great response Conder...Here are some more scans of the holders...

They are mine. These were the only 2 that were in the case at the local B&M...

I hadn't been there for a while and had already picked out some Morgans and had them set aside to purchase... When I saw these and put a loupe to them I put the Morgans back and bought these.

q.jpg

qqq.jpg

qq.jpg

qqqq.jpg

WOW, those are signed by Charles Hoskin and the photography for that era is rather well done, even if it is black and white.

One would have to think the packaging is as valuable as the coins, well that is them being together as documentation & coin.

Learned something new again today I tell ya.

Charles Hoskins is now selling his services as Financial Consultant in Pennsylvania (per Goggle). Lists his credentials as 23 years in business. No degrees or professional references to back up Financial Consultant claims (CFA, CPA, MBA).