• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1794 Cent

6 posts in this topic

I finally bought a camera that is able to get decent macro shots so I can bug you guys about grades lol

Here is my 1794 large cent. I know it has corrosion but what do you guys think the details grade is? Can anyone tell me what variety it is? Also should I consider sending this coin in for conservation?

IMG_0029a.jpgIMG_0031a.jpg

The detail grade is a Fine, but it gets down graded to VG because of the surfaces. The EAC grade would be VG down graded to Good.

I would not let any "conserver" fool with this coin. Chances are they won't improve it. All you will get is bright AT surfaces and perhaps a bit less detail.

The commercial grade is "Fine details, net VG". In fact it might have F-15 details.

Bill, actually I think an EAC grade would be: sharpness of F-12, net grade of G-6. The issues are the surface quality, the dig and the rim ding. I like the strong rims and reasonably good dentilation.

OK. I'm going to take a preliminary stab at the attribution. First...my disclaimers:

Hard to tell details on the reverse because of the weakness in wreath...but if my attribution is correct, weakness in the wreath is typical of my pick,

Sheldon's pictures (Penny Whimsy) are actual size so a giant blow up comparison isn't possible,

my glasses are dirty... :o

There are some 70 + varieties of 1794's but I do not believe that yours is the head of 1793 nor the head of 1795, so that made identification a bit easier.

I am going with S-30. I base this on the proximity of the 1 to the curl, the 4 to the bust and the double curl at the bottom of the hair. Also, the R in LIBERTY lines up well with the peak of the hair.

On the reverse, though it's hard to see on your coin, I believe that there is a die break from the rim through the R in America. The middle and upper wreath are weak, consistent with S-30. The F in "OF" kind of points off at an angle and the RI in America are joined.

Well, there's my guess...I hope I'm not too far off the mark. S-30 is a rarity 1 or common variety.

Grading, well, the corrosion is an issue, but I am quite comfortable with F-12.

RI AL....waiting for the EAC guys to beat me to a pulp :makepoint: