• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009 High Relief Saint

31 posts in this topic

I received my US Mint mailer today and it has the 2009 High Relief Saint in it....anyone thinking about buying this one? If so, why and if not, why?

Personally, I think I am. No way in h@ll I can afford the original and this is a chance to have a similar coin.

2009 small diameter pieces will be a one-year, bullion issue, struck to the number of orders placed during 2009.

(BTW- there are only 2 originals and both are in the Smithsonian. You are probably thinking of the normal diameter extremely high relief pieces.)

Any chance you could scan the mailer? I didn't get one, or it hasn't arrived yet; and I'd love to see what it says.

2009 small diameter pieces will be a one-year, bullion issue, struck to the number of orders placed during 2009.

(BTW- there are only 2 originals and both are in the Smithsonian. You are probably thinking of the normal diameter extremely high relief pieces.)

Legislation also calls for a limited number of collector's versions if I remember correctly.

It would be better in 0.900 fine gold at 0.9675 ounces of pure gold like the original, but we can take what we can get...and the fatness is the best part!

I guess it will have to be holdered in the 4 finger type holder if certified aye

Unlike the 3 cent "New NGC Holder" post, hopefully this one is big enough to "fill up" the holder and the fingers don't overpower the coin. :)

The 2009 pieces are reproductions of the small diameter experimental coins made in Feb 1907. They are the diameter of a $10 but much thicker. Each piece will contain 1 oz .9999 fine gold. They take 2 blows of the press to make even though they are made in soft, pure gold not the normal .900 fine coinage alloy.

I will definitely buy one or two...

Since I have regular High Relief, I guess I'd like to have one.

You own a high relief Saint, Bill?

Yep, It's a PCGS green label MS-63 that I bought some years ago before the prices went up. It is part of my type set:

Bill Jones' gold type set

I would love to have one of these for my collection. I hope the asking price is not too high given the price of gold continues to trend downward.

Yep, It's a PCGS green label MS-63 that I bought some years ago before the prices went up. It is part of my type set:

:o

(worship)

:golfclap:

(worship)

:applause:

:headbang:

I am hoping to purchase one or two if the price is right. I may purchase a few more and submit them and then sell them if I get 70's.. I wonder if they will limit the # per household?

(worship)

The things Bill owns would make a grown man cry.

you may think I'm nuts but I'm definately getting one--and will never slab it. I miss just holding coins sometimes (talking about the metal and not through plastic)...besides, if they make enough of them it may never be worth much more than bullion so I'll just enjoy mine..

you may think I'm nuts but I'm definately getting one--and will never slab it. I miss just holding coins sometimes (talking about the metal and not through plastic)...besides, if they make enough of them it may never be worth much more than bullion so I'll just enjoy mine..

You are not nuts. I wouldn't slab this particular issue either. There's really no reason to do so unless you are doing a registry set.

On a side note, I for one am glad the mint is not making an attempt to copy the original High Relief Saint. They would have failed miserably in such an endeavor.

The mint used one of the original models made by Saint-Gaudens in December 1906. The only coins ever struck from this specific version were: 1) Extremely High Relief experimental pieces (about 19 pieces) and 2) Extremely High Relief, small diameter experimental pieces (15 made, 2 remain). The bullion pieces the mint will sell in 2009 are reproductions of the small diameter pieces, except they are being struck in pure gold, not .900 fine alloy.

The High Relief coins (12,667 struck) originated with the artist’s second set of models delivered in March 1907 and are the only coins ever produced from them.

I'll be buying, not slabbing.

I won't slab the one I would buy. I really like the original mint packaging, especially when it includes the multi-coin holders. I made an effort to get all of the “regular” double set commemorative coin sets in the wooden boxes. It’s kind of like owning a “poor man’s Pan-Pac set” times whatever. When you take these coins out of the original mint packaging and put them into a slab, they lose a lot. They become sterile modern coins IMO.

(worship)

The things Bill owns would make a grown man cry.

Thanks guys!!!! (thumbs u

I can't be not highest grade ship in the port, but I try to be the most complete collection with high eye appeal collector grade coins combined with pictures and bit of history with every piece.

I'll be buying, not slabbing.

I won't slab the one I would buy. I really like the original mint packaging, especially when it includes the multi-coin holders. I made an effort to get all of the “regular” double set commemorative coin sets in the wooden boxes. It’s kind of like owning a “poor man’s Pan-Pac set” times whatever. When you take these coins out of the original mint packaging and put them into a slab, they lose a lot. They become sterile modern coins IMO.

I could not have said it better! All my modern commems still have their original packaging, thought I keep the coins in their plastic cases in the safe deposit box and the empty packaging in my closet!

I would only worry about getting the coin undamaged, given the Mint's vendor history with shipping loose gold commems. rattling around in thier packaging.

I would only worry about getting the coin undamaged, given the Mint's vendor history with shipping loose gold commems. rattling around in thier packaging.

Probably worth mentioning in a new thread, but the Mint announced yesterday (Monday) that they're changing distribution and customer service centers. Hopefully the new ones will be better.