• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1924D Lincoln

14 posts in this topic

I agree.

The luster is not right on it for a Mint State coin.

I'd say that they started with an AU-58 or low MS coin and tried to "improve" it for commercial sale.

Sorry. (shrug)

My first impression matches that of some other replies. It looks like a cleaned AU coin. Many of the branch mint Lincolns from the mid '20s have mushy strikes but this one also appears to have some rub. The surfaces and color look off too.

Good eye everyone, this coin has been whizzed. As far as the grade, the 24D is known for worn dies and poor striking pressures. It's a nice coin, too bad it was harshly cleaned....nonetheless, I keep it around because it's a decent example of whizzing.

You can tell it's been whizzed due to the softness of detail, without traces of major wear, particularly on the high points of the device. High end AU or low end MS details AU-58 to number it.

Help me out with the whizzing. I thought there would be more prominent lines on the surface associated with whizzing. I agree cleaned or possibly recolored. Definate AU with the flat cheek. I need to study up on detecting a whizzed coin, especially when the perp is good at what they do. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Brian

If you look in the field to the up and right of Lincoln's portrait you can see some grainy texture, not noted at all on the reverse of the coin. The device of Lincoln is also too soft given the general lack of actual wear on the coin, especially on the lower right of his outfit.