• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WYNTK----The Walkers Of 1935

12 posts in this topic

Hello Folks-----Yes, the year of 1935

For many years, I've wanted to write this thread. Now, due to two recent purchases, I can finally share a personal opinion of mine with the rest of my fellow collectors. That being that the year of 1935 is a "much" underrated year within the Walker series. Much like the 1920 D coin that has been ignored in the "early" Walkers, so have the 1935 coins been hidden within the Walkers of the 1930's and the 1940's.

It wasn't until I had finished an acceptable coin for each of the "early years" Walkers that I could focus my attentions to the years between 1934 and 1947.

Then after my "lucky" purchase of two original skinned MS sets of coins from 1936 to 1947, I finally could consentrate on the 1933 S to the 1935 coins.

Like many before me, I believed that, because of their mintages, I could obtain the coins of the 1930's with relative ease. But, as with many best laid plans of mice and men, brother was I mistaken.

In the end, the 1939 coins came with relative ease. Then the 1937 coins were next----the 37D is NOT easy but findable in MS 63--65. The 36 S is tough with original skin. But the 1936 year doesn't pose a problem in general. The two 1938 coins are tough but are around----because folks hoarded the 38D coin. The 1934 coins came next. The 34 D and S coins aren't around much----and they need to be acquired as soon as acceptable pieces are found.

However, the 1935 coins are very much a headache. It seems that a lot was going on in 1935. Did you know that The Numismatic News started in 1935?? Did you know that the National Coin Albums----better known as the Wayte Raymond pages---seem to have started in that same 1935 year? The country was finally coming out of the Great Depression in 1935. A little money might have been available to collect on a modest basis. I'm 62 next month and my parents were dating and just out of high school in 1935. I'd bet that Mr. David Lange would agree that the years from 1934 to 1936 were the "renaissance" of a breed of "new" coin collectors. The coin boards---the Wayte pages---the Whitman "blue" books---all allowed folks to fill the spaces. The Baltimore cellar gold hoard find was in the National limelight at that time. A little publicity for coins seemed to stir "new" collectors into action. But, from my research and study, the 1935 year was JUST missed----the year of 1936 seems to start the real "saved" coins IMHO.

Just yesterday, I looked at my "best" set of Walkers from my youth. The 1935 Philly coin is an XF40---the 35D coin was a fine 12 piece---and the 35 S coin was a fine 15. It's fun to be able to look back on 45--50 years within ones own lifetime.

So, as I began to look for nice 1935 coins----years ago--- I realized that it was going to be more than a notion to find them. In Aug of 2003, I finally found a wonderful original Philly coin on Ebay. Got it for 20.50. It is an AU58 coin and sits in my "raw" XF--Unc. Walker set. Yes, I've been looking on Ebay for the 1935 year coins since before 2003.

Then, in Jan. of 2006, I ran into a "raw" 1935 D coin. That find should certainly be what the PCGS forum members call a "you suck" award---as I bought the coin for 27.50 and it certified as an MS64 coin. I loved Ebay back then.

But, try as I might, where was the 35 S coin? Answer----NO WHERE to be found. I looked for what seemed like forever for an original patina AU coin---or an original skinned MS coin. NOPE----just NOT to be found. Finally several months ago, my Walker buddy D.D. [ Dewayne] sent me a PM to look at a 35 S coin that was on a dealer website. It was the kind of coin that the price really didn't matter. It was such a relief to finally have such a prize. I've thanked Dewayne more times than I seem to be able to count. Thank you Dewayne---my Walker buddy---and true Walker friend. Pictures of the 35 S coin can be found at Doc's Walkers registry set.

Now, just this week, I bought an MS65 1935 Philly coin to replace my MS64 coin. That coin should soon be in my registry set I hope. So, with this final purchase---and my 1935 quest virtually complete, I can now tell ALL of you who collect the Walker series----or who just want a really nice "type" coin---DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the three 1935 Walker coins.

To finally prove my point to myself, I looked at the NGC and the PCGS population reports. I won't bore you with the "math" stats. But just to tell you that for a little over 16 million 1935 coins struck from the P, D, and S mints---only 3452 coins have been certified by NGC. To compare---of the almost 13 million mintage of 1934 coins---3821 have been placed into NGC holders. Yet the 1934 coins are MORE expensive than are the 1935 coins. The 1936--37--and 39 coins all outnumber by far the coins slabbed for the 1935 coins. If you look at the PCGS pop reports---the same trend is there---the 1935 coins are the "SLEEPER" coins from the Walker series from 1934 to 1947. At least IMHO.

Check in on my second choice for sleeper----which is the 1940 S coin. Please, if any of you wish to use the WYNTK threads for your series----as I have done for the Walkers---we need the long time collectors to pass on such valuable information. Recently, we have had some wonderful posts on the Franklins. Lets get more info on some of the other series. Sharing your knowledge can be MOST rewarding----IT"S FUN. Bless you all in your collecting efforts. Bob [supertooth]

First off, Bob, you are the true essence of a coin collector and to select just 1 year of issue from the three mints on Walking Liberty half dollars is justifiable. Often times we take for granted that we can assemble a series of coins as long as you have the funds and the resources, well in some instances that‘s just not true. There are times when quality coins are just not available on the market and we become puzzled and wonder why? Your insight to what was happening during this era sheds a whole new light on just how manipulated our society was back then. It was not a matter of choice, it was a matter of surviving.

The Great Depression stretched our people and it’s resources to the very edge and had it not been for the basic desire to survive, America would somehow be very different.

Thanks for sharing your inspirations, knowledge and research with the forum.

~Woody~

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Fun post, but your background of the coin hobby included a few minor errors.

It was the Numismatic Scrapbook Magazine that debuted in 1935, not Numismatic News. This was a wonderful publication that gives a much better feel for the popular hobby during the years 1935-75 than any other. I have a complete unbound set at home and a complete bound set here at the office. I refer to the NSM frequently in my research on coin storage products.

The Raymond, National Brand coin albums debuted late in 1928 under the name the Unique Coin Holder. This product began as simply pages in the vertical or portrait format, and the ring binders and landscape pages were added later. It's inventor and publisher was Martin Luther Beistle, who also wrote the first comprehensive reference book on half dollars. Beistle's rights to the Unique holder were sold to Wayte Raymond in 1931, and he renamed it the National Album, adding greatly to the line of titles. This was an expensive product for its time, and it was not until Joseph K. Post introduced the 25-cent, push-in coin board in 1935 that the hobby really grew into what we know today.

Great article, Bob, very enlightening and informative as always. I have been attracted to "target" years while completing sets, such as 1879. These target years become a quest of their own in finding other denominations of that particular year.

Unfortunately, these side tangents often take me off focus of the original intent of finding coins for a set, instead of creating new tangential mint sets of their own. However, it is still coin collecting coins, just collecting without focus.

Thanks, Bob! One day I hope I get another opportunity to look at your Walkers.

I remember reading the story about the two boys who were digging a clubhouse in their cellar and finding the gold in Baltimore.

Chris

Supertooth, Thank you for sharing the story of your struggle to find the missing link. I haven't been looking for as long as you but do appreciate the encouraging story that it will just take time. I get impatient and sometimes that leads to discouragement but as you have written perserverance is the key. Your love of the Walker is always evident in your writings and I am thankful you share your insights and discoveries with us here. (worship) Thank you

This original post and David Lange's comments reminded me to have the Depression Era coin hobby section of the next book peer reviewed...whenever I can get the draft finished.