• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scanning

8 posts in this topic

OK - what is causing these weird color flashes on my Walker? It is an NGC MS64 and pure white in person. I have noticed when I try to scan my silver coins (all are MS63 or better white) they get this flash.

1945w.jpg

They are images of the ghosts of Liberties past. 893whatthe.gif

Try using a black felt or black paper background. It appears the scanner light is refecting through the glass at a different angle of refraction causing colors on the image.

TRUTH

Thanks for the tip - I shall go to an art supply store and get some really flat black paper. One thing, though. This was scanned in the holder. Do you feel the black paper will still help?

(We do NOT get along well in Cooler but now we are talking collectibles - a diff thing)

Looks to me as though polarized light is being reflected by the plastic. Try scanning the coin on a slight angle (with a spacer under one side.

I have tried that. One nice thing about this scanner is that it can remain sharp with a decent amount of distance from the bed. Tried all types of things to raise the cion up to no avail. It seems to dislike silver!

Try using a black felt or black paper background. It appears the scanner light is refecting through the glass at a different angle of refraction causing colors on the image.

TRUTH

That would be my guess, too.

Not entirely sure about scans but when you take photos it might be a good idea to cover up the NGC holder also. I've had a LOT of trouble with the color (and lightness) of my NGC slabbed coins. The PCGS coins are easier since it is a more or less transparent slab and I can just but the black cloth under the slab.

Soon, I'm going to make some cut-outs for certain sized coins and take some new pictures and compare, both PCGS and NGC slabs. They'll be on equal "footing" so to speak....

Does anyone know where to get some good paper (BLACK) that doesn't reflect?? Photo store?

jom