• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Annual Question: Who is going to FUN in January?

34 posts in this topic

It's getting closer than you think...........Thanksgiving............Christmas..........New Year's Eve................FUN!

I made my hotel reservations today.

Chris

The winter FUN is always in Orlando (except for very rarely when the convention center is undergoing construction). The Summer FUN I believe is in West Palm Beach, but that one is only a couple years old.

http://www.funtopics.com/Fun_Shows/FUNshow.html

Alas and alack, I will be unable to attend this year. I wanted to be able to, but I'm taking trips to Charleston for Valentine's, St. Patty's and my brother's graduation in May, so I can't take FUN as well. Maybe next year.

I will of course be there....it wouldn't be any FUN without me :acclaim:

Shane, I'll be there Thursday afternoon. How about getting together one evening for a few beers and some pool?

Chris

I'd love it Chris....I might have to work till the weekend but I am going to try to at least take friday off so I can maybe go to the show Friday and Saturday......I am sure I will br broke long before the show ends ;)

I'd love it Chris....I might have to work till the weekend but I am going to try to at least take friday off so I can maybe go to the show Friday and Saturday......I am sure I will br broke long before the show ends ;)

Great! Let's try to "shoot" for Friday or Saturday.

If anyone would like to join us, just give us a "Hey!"

Chris

What's a good place to stay? Should a person look for something close to the show? I don't know the area. What do most do for this show?

I'm staying at a Holiday Inn, 8214 Universal Blvd., about 12 blocks down the street from the convention center. The cheapest room they have on their website is $120 per night. This will be my 5th year in attendance, and I've used a different hotel each time. A couple of them weren't so great. We'll see about this one.

Chris

I'm goning, and I will have a booth. I think that it will be my old spot #931.

I'm looking forward to it, Bill, and I promise not to drive your customers away.

Chris

I'm goning, and I will have a booth. I think that it will be my old spot #931.

I'm looking forward to it, Bill, and I promise not to drive your customers away.

Chris

As long as you buy all his stuff, he doesn't care how many you drive away.

So far , I have plans to attend . I have the vacation days locked in . Not sure of the schedule ....trying to aim for Thursday , Friday , Saturday . Most likely looking at Friday/Saturday , but will not know for sure for another two weeks or so .

We're looking at maybe spending a week up in Ormond Beach , with me driving over to the convention center from there , or I'll be going down solo and staying somehwhere closer . Dunno yet .

I have a group of severe die clashes ( not your Sac , but some Jeffs from an old bank roll ) with progression trails that I want to see if KP could offer some opinions on how to best present them for a display I have in mind . Other than that, my only other plans for the show would be the NGC luncheon ( if they are going to keep with tradition) , take in another seminar , and maybe hunt down some star notes . I wish the dealers would bring OBW rolls of nickels , but only a few ever do.

-John

We have finally locked in our schedules for the first full week of January , and I'll be over in Kissimmee (?), FL for the week starting around Tuesday through Sunday....so , I'll be able to sneak over to the convention center toward the end of the week . :)

The first half of the week is going to be the family just hanging out and doing whatever pops up . We haven't been able to relax without a schedule to follow for some time , so we are just going to vegde-out for a few days , maybe even try to catch a show somewhere . The wife's back in school , and actually has classes with our son , and the daughter is not going to make it ....her last semester before graduating from Clemson , so she has to return to classes right away after the holiday break.

I'll try to give ya a call near the end of the week Chris and see what's happening .

-John

PS , you'll hafta check-out these nickels I found in an old bankroll , man , they're freakin kewl ...toned AND severe OBV & REV die clashes plus the ones from the same die after it was 'repaired' ( I can only assume , but some of the clashes is the same orientation are still visible and then slowly 'wear' away on the follow-on punches) . Also , got some more of those big round cart-wheel things you like , if you bring your VAM book with you , it'd be a big plus , as I think it's cool how you found those neat clashes like you showed me in '06 , and I'd like to see if I can get you to look at these and see if any have anything going for them. They look 'normal' to me .

We have finally locked in our schedules for the first full week of January , and I'll be over in Kissimmee (?), FL for the week starting around Tuesday through Sunday....so , I'll be able to sneak over to the convention center toward the end of the week . :)

The first half of the week is going to be the family just hanging out and doing whatever pops up . We haven't been able to relax without a schedule to follow for some time , so we are just going to vegde-out for a few days , maybe even try to catch a show somewhere . The wife's back in school , and actually has classes with our son , and the daughter is not going to make it ....her last semester before graduating from Clemson , so she has to return to classes right away after the holiday break.

I'll try to give ya a call near the end of the week Chris and see what's happening .

-John

PS , you'll hafta check-out these nickels I found in an old bankroll , man , they're freakin kewl ...toned AND severe OBV & REV die clashes plus the ones from the same die after it was 'repaired' ( I can only assume , but some of the clashes is the same orientation are still visible and then slowly 'wear' away on the follow-on punches) . Also , got some more of those big round cart-wheel things you like , if you bring your VAM book with you , it'd be a big plus , as I think it's cool how you found those neat clashes like you showed me in '06 , and I'd like to see if I can get you to look at these and see if any have anything going for them. They look 'normal' to me .

John, you can call me on my cell when you get to the convention center so we can hook up.

All of my reference books are packed away, so I won't have any with me. You might want to join me at the SSDC (Society of Silver Dollar Collectors) meeting if you have the time. It is scheduled for either Friday or Saturday, but I'll have to check and let you know for sure.

Actually, the club is primarily for VAMmers, and lifetime membership is $200. If you have some extra cash with you, you might want to join. In addition to other benefits, the membership entitles you to receive the VAM updates and the Price Guide quarterlies which are sent to you via e-mail.

Call me when you get there!

Chris

(239)222-0357

John, the SSDC meeting is scheduled for Friday afternoon, January 9.

Its now a definite I will NOT make it :(

Had to spend the $ checking out colleges with the eldest - Looks like its

going to be UNOH Northwestern ( Has Anyone gone there ?? )

AND School for myself for Advanced Training - Hybrid Technology Service and Repair

It seems as if HE finally got his head screwed on and is going for their Automotive

Program ( Double major Automotive/Performance )

Third Generation Auto Tech on its way :).

Hope you guys have F.U.N :makepoint:

I should try to join you at the meeting if I can Chris as all I really collect now is Toned Silver dollars....though I have to admit I don't have a passion for Vams hm

I haven't decided yet. I went last year and I don't think I managed to meet a single board member. I guess I'm just to quiet and reserved. Or it could be that I'm just too obnoxious and no one wants to meet me. :o

Last year I took a two week vacation with the family. Disney has home school days the following week and since we home school our daughter we took advantage of that. They have the same schedule this year but I can't afford another two week vacation.

We do have some friends near Tampa that will let us stay with them. That worked out last year except for the days when the interstate was on fire and it took us 5-6 hours to get to Orlando.

Decisions, decisions...

I haven't decided yet. I went last year and I don't think I managed to meet a single board member. I guess I'm just to quiet and reserved.

Did you attend the NGC luncheon? One thing you have to do at these affairs is find a seat at a table where everyone looks like they were just released from the loony bin. It's at that table where you will have the most fun.

Chris

I should try to join you at the meeting if I can Chris as all I really collect now is Toned Silver dollars....though I have to admit I don't have a passion for Vams hm

That sounds fine with me. Give me a call sometime Friday AM.

Don't forget that Marty is still trying to formulate his "highjack plan" for Friday evening.

Chris

I haven't decided yet. I went last year and I don't think I managed to meet a single board member. I guess I'm just to quiet and reserved.

Did you attend the NGC luncheon? One thing you have to do at these affairs is find a seat at a table where everyone looks like they were just released from the loony bin. It's at that table where you will have the most fun.

Chris

Yes, I was at the luncheon, but I obviously sat at the wrong table. Next time I'll come in wearing a white coat and see which table looks most nervous. But I'm sure the loony table fills up quick.

That sounds fine with me. Give me a call sometime Friday AM.

Don't forget that Marty is still trying to formulate his "highjack plan" for Friday evening.

Chris

(thumbs u :devil:

I may go this year since I have a line on a cheap flight. I know this is a big show, but does anyone know if there will be any dealers selling raw Conder tokens? I'm thinking that will be a long shot given the location.

I may go this year since I have a line on a cheap flight. I know this is a big show, but does anyone know if there will be any dealers selling raw Conder tokens? I'm thinking that will be a long shot given the location.

I couldn't guarantee the quality of the collection but I would be shocked if you couldn't find some at this show hm

I couldn't guarantee the quality of the collection but I would be shocked if you couldn't find some at this show hm

With 800-1000 tables, I would be surprised if you couldn't find any.

If you want, I'll make a sign to stick on your back:

$$$I'm buying Condor Token$$$

Chris

Chris

I'd be mighty cautious about taking any signs from Chris. He's just as likely to switch it out at the last minute with one saying

Kick Me

Chris

I'd be mighty cautious about taking any signs from Chris. He's just as likely to switch it out at the last minute with one saying

Kick Me

Actually, I was thinking of putting

FREE! on the flip side.

Chris