• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare Conn Copper/Advice?

6 posts in this topic

My buddy recently found this Conn. Copper metal detecting and we understand from several separate non-professional experts that it's very valuable, but nobody is telling us why. They are talking at least 5 figures valuable. If anyone can tell us any details about why it is rare and how rare, it's greatly appreciated. Date is 1787. Thank you, Bergie (I can't seem to attach files; too big, so here is link to post that has the photos.)

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,188747.0.html

Interesting....in the Red Book, the 1787 reverse, Bust left has a cud covering the date. Your image clearly shows the date. Going to wait for the Vermont Colonial experts to reply.

In GOOD condition, lists as $4,000

Of course, the one you show has quite a few issues, it appears professional conservation may be in order.

I think 5 figures might be a bit ambitious for one with as much crud on it as all that. Definitely do not attempt to clean it yourself! A coin like that needs to be handled by professionals - NCS is very good and will do everything they can for it. Depending on how it turns out, you could definitely be looking at 4 figures, though.

I guess we do not have any Vermont Colonial experts ???(shrug)

How does Vermont come into the discussion? hm The piece shown is a Connecticut copper.

There are over 400 varieties of Connecticut coppers, and I don’t have the book on them. This one appears to be heavily corroded and not very unusual. I don’t see a four figure coin here.

Here is a picture of the representative Connecticut copper that is in my collection. You will note that “CONNEC” appears on the right side of the obverse, not “VERMON.”

CTCopperO.jpgCTCopperR.jpg