• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need some help with George T Morgan

9 posts in this topic

I am putting together an online video about the Morgan Dollars and I'm having an issue. All the old 1800's images I have are all public domain so I can use them but I can not for the life of me find a high resolution image of George Morgan. I have found a few low resolution images online but that's it. Does any one know where I can get a tiff, jpeg, etc of Morgan that is high resolution?

I'm also looking for James B Longacre picture/painting too for a liberty head video later. If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it. thanks

Mark

Hi, Mark! You must have slipped in the door when I wasn't looking. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Have you tried contacting Leroy Van Allen, Q. David Bowers or Mark Kimpton. One of them may be able to help.

Chris

Go through some back issues of Coin World's 'coin values' . Iremeber an article a while back with his photo in it. I'll check Monday and see if I can find it.

Hi Chris,

I actually just started the boards and I'm in the collector society. I love it :) I will look up the guys you mentioned and see if I can find an email etc. Thanks for your help with this. You would not believe how hard it is to find some of this pictures I need without having to order them from the copyright office..lol They do have a lot of the public domain images onine in tiffs but some of the really good images you have to order. The problem is you cant really see what you are ordering..lol Once I get the video finished and on youtube I'll list the link so everyone can see it :)

thanks again

Mark

Mark,

You can go to www.stacks.com for QDB's e-mail address. Just click on his photo on the home page.

Unless it has changed, Leroy Van Allen's e-mail is: vams@bright.net

I'm not sure about Mark Kimpton's. I've got his book "Elite Clashed Morgan Dollars" but it is packed in storage right now.

Chris

1. Most of the photos of Morgan are alterations of a his image from a group photo made at the Philadelphia Mint cr. 1905.

2. Morgan was Special Engraver from Oct 1876 to January 1880 and reported to the director.

3. In January 1880, when Charles Barber was named Engraver, Morgan accepted the position of Assistant Engraver.

PS: Mark, you have my permission to quote from the book "Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-21" in your video, if you wish. It includes a short bio on Morgan plus many other things relating to his work on the Peace dollar.