• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Carson City for consideration

9 posts in this topic

Are you using a coin stand or is that a rim gouge at 8:30 ???

Again a washed out look - I dont know if its your lighting - Camera settings - or playing in photoshop but the color is wrong

It is a VF30

Are you using a coin stand or is that a rim gouge at 8:30 ???

Again a washed out look - I dont know if its your lighting - Camera settings - or playing in photoshop but the color is wrong

It is a VF35

No, just someone else who is trying to sell it as a AU, which I agree is not even close. I appreciate the opinions as it helps and I get better when it comes to grading; at least when trying to make a decision by suspect pics only.

The sharpness grade is VF, but the coin has been badly cleaned and there is that big rim nick on the reverse. The net grade is VG, and I would not want to own this coin even at that level. Most collectors would avoid it and therefore so would most dealers when the time comes to sell it. You can find circulated 1893-CC dollars in the circulated grades that can run circles around this one.

VF-30 details, tooled and severely altered surfaces.

Someone has attempted to burnish a huge gouge off the portrait above the ear, then whizzed the entire coin to make it more consistent looking.

Worth VG money at best to me.

Guess I'm in a stricter mood today...usually I'm overly generous but I am going with VF 20 to 25 on this one. The surfaces bother me as having been "modified" somehow...in other words...I think someone cleaned the :censored: out of it. Also, now that James Early US pointed out the smoothed over gouge over the ear, I would pass on this one.

Just curious, James Early US, where did you detect the tooling? I'm not good at picking that stuff up.

All in all...it's kind of a REJECT.

RI AL

RI Al

Just curious, James Early US, where did you detect the tooling? I'm not good at picking that stuff up.

The area above the ear has been overly flattened, which is not consistent with moderate wear at the VF level. You can see that there is still a long scratch, but I bet the scratch was very deep. The metal around it is ground down to lessen the effect of the scratch.

The area above the ear has been overly flattened, which is not consistent with moderate wear at the VF level. You can see that there is still a long scratch, but I bet the scratch was very deep. The metal around it is ground down to lessen the effect of the scratch.

Good eye James and will have to agree - Of course in hand it would be obvious - I also didn't see the other gouge going through the cotton bole .