• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barber Dime collector...opinions wanted please

19 posts in this topic

Not my series....have only owned a handful of barber coins in all of the years I have collected but I am a sucker for toning. This looks like nice original album toning to be and I purchased the coin from dog97 ATS so....I would like your opinions as to the overal looks and grade opinions. I am a big boy so if you don't like it...I can take it :sick: I would also appreciate seeing other nice Barber dime examples posted :1Applause;

Luster Shots

Barber011.jpg

Barber012.jpg

Color Shots

Barber013.jpg

Barber015.jpg

:foryou:

Shane, if these images are accurate, I would tend to shy away from this coin, even though the original quality seems beyond reproach. The darkness detracts from the details, which is an important factor (for me) on smaller coins.

Shane, if these images are accurate, I would tend to shy away from this coin, even though the original quality seems beyond reproach. The darkness detracts from the details, which is an important factor (for me) on smaller coins.

The coin is not dark in hand...quite colorful and looks very much like the color shots when tilted. The surfaces are very much PL so when the light source hits the coin straight on it make the coin look dark in the images. (thumbs u

The coin is not dark in hand...quite colorful and looks very much like the color shots when tilted. The surfaces are very much PL so when the light source hits the coin straight on it make the coin look dark in the images. (thumbs u

Shane, if the images are accurate, I think he's nuts.

:devil:

The coin looks original and quite attractive to me, even in the darker images. Well done and please tell Randy I said hi.

I'm certainly no expert on the Barber series but before I scrolled down to see the slab shot I graded the coin MS63. Your luster shots don't really show much luster. If there is more luster in hand I could see a possible upgrade. I like the coin for the most part but the lighter area on the left side of the reverse is mildly distracting.

Since you asked, here are the only two graded Barber dimes I own, the first and last years, both ANACS graded and MS63 and AU58 respectively.

67431.jpg.c9c5bdf17323f72e3b127df57e5701ad.jpg

67432.jpg.25261f7ba419af9542e479d5f982a97c.jpg

I lost track, I can't remember if I am thirding or forthing or even fifthing, but I second that. That look is exactly what I go for, it appears original, natural and beautiful!

I lost track, I can't remember if I am thirding or forthing or even fifthing, but I second that. That look is exactly what I go for, it appears original, natural and beautiful!
Alan, it sounds as if you had a few drinks too many?

:D

If the coin has full luster under the toning it is a WONDERFUL Barber dime for the grade. (thumbs u I've seen Proof and MS 65 and 66 pieces that I did not like as well because they were dull and lifeless.

Shane,

I like the coin - its got great color - and as everyone stated -

if the luster is all there - its a winner.

Its accurated graded - and a great coin for a type set.

Congratulations !!

Alan, it sounds as if you had a few drinks too many?

:D

Dear Mark,

hiccup, belch, I don't drink alcohol, what got to me was how anybody could say that this Barber isn't beautifully albeit darkly (but you know how I love darkly) toned, and finally I saw a bunch of members start to appreciate and I got excited and lost count.:)

Carry on! Just wanted to respond to Mr Feld the greatest coin dealer/numismatist,exgrader in all the land! He at least deserves a response.

I think it is interesting how the image makes the coin look dark.....it is very light in hand but because of the PL surfaces the light is reflecting back into the camera and makes it look dark. I think folks are interpreting the images correctly.....the images are just not accurate for the luster shots.....the color shots show a lighter more colorful coin and that is how it looks in hand. I will have to try to agle the coin for some more luster shots so i can see if I can more accurately catch the essence of the coin in 2D.

Thanks for all of the replies so far....this coin is a keeper for me :cloud9: