• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new 1858-O Half Dime

7 posts in this topic

I picked this one up a couple of months ago and finally got it imaged. When I looked at it closely I thought the die looked familiar so I did a search and came up with a post about a similar coin owned by SkyMan. Mine has the same clashed and overly polished dies but the clashes don't seem to be quite as sharp. On SkyMan's coin the flat area under the arm where the robes have been polished away seems to show clash marks with "DIME", but that doesn't show on my coin. Perhaps the dies clashed once again after my coin was struck and before his was struck. The die cracks on the reverse die seem to be in about the same die state.

I have checked both Valentine and Blythe and I can't find a variety that matches this die pair. Both of these references are lacking so that's not a big surprise. I also believe that I saw this same die pair in Taro's registry set, but he may have upgraded since I last checked.

The pictures aren't too big but I didn't want to irritate anyone with jumbo pictures like I have done in the past.

67412.jpg.ac366d58f8e9e2ac13b3d5b912ed58fa.jpg

Looks to me more like a die clash than die crack. Take a closer look, I'm not much of a collector of seated coins, but that's what it looks like to me.

Looks to me more like a die clash than die crack. Take a closer look, I'm not much of a collector of seated coins, but that's what it looks like to me.

There are die clashes on both sides. The die cracks I was talking about are on the reverse. You can see them coming off the top of the last A in America to the rim, from the left side of the R to the rim and from the left ribbon end to the rim.

Taro, those are three nice looking coins and all appear to be the dame die pair. Here is my other 1858-O. It's a V-1 and doesn't show any clash marks and has a die crack coming off Liberty's foot to the rim.

67430.jpg.482bbaecb1748df7255d1e4480b43a01.jpg