• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why so low?

9 posts in this topic

In todays Superior auction lot #1789, an NGC 65 Pilgrim sold for $160. It`s described and shows periperal rainbow toning and being lustrous. I was ready to bid $300 and figured it would be way 893frustrated.giftoo low. Well, I had to work late, and then found out what it went for! Isn`t that really cheap for the coin?

mommam17,

Keeping in mind that I have not seen the coin in person, or even an image of it, I would say that if it is solid for the grade and the eye appeal of the coin is as described that price is very low, and someone got a great buy. On the other hand, I have seen coins in MS-65 holders that I would not buy no matter how low the price.

John

I watched every early commem. in the auction this afternoon. The pilgrim you spoke of didn't really grab me at all. I didn't like it. In general I think the prices were of average and above. I didn't see but one, maybe two, at maximum, good deals, and they weren't even that good. I was rather disappointed with the early commem. offerings tonofbricks.gif. I placed bids on only six items and was outbid each time. I think the Long Beach Superior auction was was better for early commem.s. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Robert. That makes me feel better. Glad I didn`t buy it. It`s described as "Gorgeous rainbow colored iridescence adorning the obverse rim enhances the already memorable eye appeal of this shimmering lustous example. A coin that is sure to please." With a picture that looked good and with that discription I thought it would be a coin for me. John, yes lots of 65`s and 66`s I wouldn`t own. No eye appeal. By the way how much for that Columbian?

By the way how much for that Columbian?

I'll tell you what mommam, If I ever find another '93 Columbian that I like better than that one, I will offer the one I already have to you first. flowerred.gif

John

Oh! Now that Gettysburg was the first early comm. that I ever bought, and it was the coin that get me interested in collecting the early comms. I would probably keep that coin forever…. Err, how much you offering? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just kidding! 27_laughing.gif

John

Think of it this way; you don't know what the ultimate high bid was for the person who ended up winning the coin. In other words, even if you bid your $300 you still may not have gotten the coin since the high bidder may have had a maximum bid higher than that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Think of it this way; you don't know what the ultimate high bid was for the person who ended up winning the coin. In other words, even if you bid your $300 you still may not have gotten the coin since the high bidder may have had a maximum bid higher than that.

Tom,

That is exactly how I think when I spot a coin that I would have been interested in and was won with ridiculously low bid. It does gnaw at you though, the thought that you may have gotten the coin for such a great price. I believe that in time we all wind up with our own ‘great’ deals though, so I guess it balances out in the end.

John