• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

With Current Gold, Guess the Mint's Van Buren's Liberty Gold Proof Sale Price!

What's the price range that you expect this proof coin to come out at?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What's the price range that you expect this proof coin to come out at?

8 posts in this topic

Last year when I bought a Jefferson's Liberty, gold was fairly close to what it is today, around $700-750/oz. The Mint sold the 1/2 oz proof coins for $430. As the price of gold picked up, the Mint's prices for the subsequent Spouse coins went up, as well, with Dolly Madison going for $530 and then all the coins this year going for around $620 ... despite gold being closer to $800/oz when the Jackson's Liberty came out. (These are proof prices.)

I'm curious as to what your non-cynical projections are for what the Mint will price the Van Buren's Liberty at when it's released in November, given the current trends in gold. Will they keep the inflated pricing, or go back to around 30% over spot? Note that they haven't altered their pricing on any of the first spouse coins since they were released (so Jackson's Liberty is still "selling" for $620, 75% over spot at the time of writing this).

This poll will close Nov. 16, a week before the coin is released because that's usually around when the press release comes out stating the price. Oh, and I'm sure lots of you will have cynical comments about the Mint's pricing ... if it's not related to my question, please use a different thread to rant. If it is, then g'head. :)

The mint is a government bureaucracy that is steeped in protocol and slow to adjust to anything, especially falling prices for precious metals. The prices for the first spouse gold coins will remain much higher than the price of bold bullion for the foreseeable future.

I think the Mint will have to price the Van Buren Liberty the same price as it has the other First Spouses this year. Otherwise they will need to reprice the ones already released. They did reprice the platinum but surprisingly not the gold???

According to the Mint's press release, Van Buren's Liberty will be priced at $549.94 for proof, $524.95 uncirculated.

Spot's been hovering around $730ish/oz lately, so they're charging 50% over spot for the proof.

What's worse, that, or charging $44.95 for the 2008 silver proof set, with 1.338 ounces of silver at $9.50 per ounce?

I'm glad that I sold all of my proof sets so that I don't have to keep up with them anymore. :banana: